6 - My Centennial

My one hundred years, my marriage, the elven capital of the empire and a great misfortune...

Raastad insisted "Keel, I repeat, there is more to life than war. It is the time to take a repose".

"But now that the hordes have withdrawn, it's time to move forward! It is our first significant victory in this war, general".

"There is much more to consider. For instance, do you really know what the key hordes are? Where are they? Who are their masters? What are their weaknesses?"

I knew some of the answers, but perhaps more rumors than facts. I didn't get all of the reports for my rank as captain, and I knew he wanted no responses. They were rhetorical questions.

"Well then, trust me. It's time to withdraw from the battlefront. You must return the Nelfária immediately. It's time to celebrate your centenary and to take a wife".

I was upset and saw no point in withdrawing. My presence was too important. Balcatemi and I would make a huge difference in each of the battles.

"Will you order me, sir?"

"No, but let's make a deal".

"A deal?"

"Yes, you go back, rest for a year and I will visit you to provide intelligence about your next mission".

Raastad sensed my reluctance and said "Besides, the second and third generation of Hostenoist weapons are now on the front lines".

"What about Nish? It's getting worse for sure..."

"Lazeth and the human fleet from Bendomar are taking reinforcements there. They are carrying five of the newest elemental blades".

"Why can't I join them?"

"I have already explained, your next mission will begin within a year. And the siege against Nish won't be broken before that".

"To Nelfária then..."

***

Nelfária, capital of the Elven Empire was a glorious city. It was crossed by a network of water channels, a number of geometrical lakes, temples, palaces and gardens. Home to about one tenth of the population before the war. Now it was a sad and desolate place with abandoned sectors and districts. The central area still had much of the past's routines. The temples close to the magnificent palace of the three silver towers still bore some movement and life.

My centennial celebration occurred in the Gallzu, twenty-fifth of 9415, the date on which the three emperors, Nell Devarsh, Bzir Naldiir and Tell Mozeth gathered to pay their respects. Everyone wanted to see the beautiful Balcatemi. But I didn't feel comfortable showing it to everyone. I felt envy and greed in the eyes of some.

It was an extravagant party prepared for more than two thousand guests and extremely stressful to me. It began in the afternoon with an endless retinue of nobles and soldiers who wanted to know the notorious Captain Keel and his legendary sword Bimu Balcatemi.

Fortunately, they gave me a break in which I was led to a reserved area. There I had good surprises.

"Keel, my son, what a huge blessing! I can't believe you're actually here!"

"Mother?" I was surprised to see her because our hometown was really far away from the capital.

For the first time, I thanked Raastad for convincing me to come.

She held my face gently and said with eyes full of tears "Son, I'm so happy to see you. A true hero! Almost an adult now... and you look just like your father!"