Fake (Percy Jackson x Reader)

(OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BREATHE! Thank you all, lovely people who read this. Because of you, this book is now ranked as #927 in Fanfiction! God bless all of you and your amazing support! This oneshot is specially for Izzyknutson who requested it long ago and it's finally here! Hope you enjoy it and keep giving me the same amount of encouragement to do this! 😘😘😘😘😘)

3rd person's P.O.V.

"You're thinking about him again." Percy chuckled as y/n's cheeks flushed in embarrassment. She laughed nervously and punched his shoulder, to which Percy exaggeratedly responded with an "ouch" and started rubbing the spot. "You do like him, don't you?"

"I don't of course." Y/n answered fast, maybe too fast because the son of Poseidon raised his brow at her with a smirk. The girl rolled her eyes and sighed. "Okay, perhaps I do. And so what? It's not like he would ever notice me at all."

Y/n sat crisscross on the sand, not caring how hard it would be to get it off her clothes later. Percy squatted next to her and patted her back reassuringly. He knew that this used to calm her down when she needed. Y/n tucked a strand of her h/c hair behind her ear, unintentionally letting a teardrop roll down her skin.

"Percy?" She whispered, making Percy look at her with the concern only the very best of friends could feel. "Am I not good enough?"

He was caught off guard with this question, knowing how insecure y/n was in such cases. Percy tried to smile, but failed miserably, only coming up with a pitiful expression. Y/n misunderstood his silence and hid her face in her palms, not wanting to face what she supposed was the truth.

Am I too ugly? Too fat? Too awkward?

Millions of questions turned into more tears as Percy moved his hand to y/n's hands and moved them away from her face. Her eyes were full of despair and disappointment, which he hadn't ever seen replace y/n's positivism and kindness. In that moment, Percy didn't even think straight. He only knew that he had to help his friend at all costs.

"Let's get together." He said in a rush, earning a half shocked, half angry glare from y/n. "I mean, let's fake a relationship. That way, you'll see if he likes you or not for sure. Now, you're just torturing yourself with all those stupid speculations and questions."

On the other hand, y/n was utterly bewildered. She couldn't decide whether to kill Percy then and there or to agree with his idea. It seemed smart but she was sure that things weren't going to end as she wanted. But what other choice did she have? Continue crying until she's out of tears? Shut herself? Change because of a boy?

None of these were right. None were possible. Not for y/n, the kind and generous girl that was ready to help everyone, even leaving her own self behind.

"Are you sure?" Was all she asked as Percy blinked his sea green eyes, endless worry radiating from expression. He nodded and gently smiled, his hand found their way to y/n's petite one.

"Let's go. We've got some rumors to spread."

A week later...

A week was more than enough for the camp to forget about everything important and start gossiping about the sweetest couple ever existed. Since Piper had told the Aphrodite cabin that Percy had finally got over Annabeth and had found his "true" feelings for his best friend, the daughter of g/p, everyone had been excited about them. Some compared them to a celebrity couple or a dynamic duo.

In the meantime, y/n was doing her best not to think about the boy she was trying to impress. Yes, he was good-looking, nice and charming but was he really that good? Was worth the risk of making her friendship uncomfortable?

"Hi, babe." Percy shouted from across the lawn. He was carrying a bouquet of (favourite flowers) with a beautiful blue ribbon tied around it. His grin was truly mesmerizing, his eyes sparkling in the sunlight and his lips pink and so k---

"These are for you. Do you like them?" Percy asked as he handed her the bouquet, making her slightly shiver at the contact of their hands. Y/n was Percy's best friend so holding his hand wasn't new to her, but now...She felt her face redden at the thought of his touch and how warm it was.

"Uh, yeah. I love them." Y/n stumbled. For a moment, time seemed to had frozen. Neither she, nor Percy dared to move, they were just staring at each other's eyes, y/n almost dropping the flowers as she felt lost in his eyes. When time turned normal again, y/n felt a pat on her shoulder and turned around to see a nervous Leo playing with some trinket in his other hand.

"Hey y/n. Long time no see, huh? I wanted to congratulate you on this." Y/n furrowed her eyebrows, seeing that Leo was burning a hole in Percy's face with his intense glare, making her clean her throat awkwardly.

"Thanks Leo."

"I hope you two are happy together. Anyways, how about we hang out later. If your boyfriend agrees, of course." Leo glanced at Percy's frustrated grimace.

"Sure." The son of Poseidon added, then folded his arms in front of his chest.

"See you later then." Leo said and winked at y/n, who was too perplexed to speak at all. When she turned to Percy, he was kind of... unamused?

"I think it's working. I told you." He replied, the smile from before was now gone. "I knew he likes you, y/n. He always has."

The girl didn't move a muscle even after Percy left. She wasn't sure where he was going, although she followed his silhouette until he was out of sight. She supposed Percy was going to the seashore, because that's where his sanctuary was.

Something inside y/n made her look down at the bouquet she was holding. She smiled, remembering how many things Percy had done in the name of their fake relationship during the last week. The flowers, the forehead kisses which brought silent giggles from her, the hand holding, his constant attempts to keep her safe, no matter what.

Only one second took the daughter of g/p to realise that Percy could have been faking the whole thing, but she wasn't...

She had actually fallen for him while trying to impress someone else.

Oh, what a fool she was! Y/n spun on her heels, the flowers still in her hand. She was running as her life depended on this, not taking a proper breath until her shoes filled with warm sand. Y/n looked around, trying to find him, but Percy was nowhere to be seen.

Underwater...

She took her shoes off and gently laid down the bouquet that had brought her the final realisation, then jumped inside the deep blue sea. As she dove deeper, multiple sea creatures surrounded her as if they somehow knew why she was there. A metre below y/n, a figure was sitting on the rocky bottom. With her last strength, y/n swam towards Percy until he was in her reach.

For some reason, he felt her presence right before she was out of breath. Percy's eyes widened before he formed an air bubble around both of them, helping y/n balance her breathing.

"Y/n! What are you doing here?" Percy shouted while watching the girl cough a few times.

"I...Wanted...To...Talk."

"Talk? About what?"

Before he could ask any further questions, Percy felt the warmth of y/n's lips on top of his. This sensation he had never imagined, the feeling unfamiliar but comfortable and relaxing. The kiss, however, lasted no longer than three seconds due to y/n's lack of air and tiredness. Yet, she managed to smile as she laid on the bottom of the bubble.

"I'm sorry." She whispered. "I just needed you to know."

Percy smiled, internally screaming in excitement but keeping it cool on the outside. He laid next to y/n and took her hand in his.

"So you're not into Valdez anymore?" Y/n chuckled.

"No."

"And we won't be fake-dating anymore?"

"Nope."

"Great. Because I think real is better than fake anyways."