Chapter 20

One day while at breakfast, Helen called me to her office. I had no idea what was going on, but I just left anyway.

“Morning” I said entering her office.

“Good morning Joanna please have a seat” Helen said.

I sat down, and waited.

“Ok Joanna, well it looks like you’re getting out of here” Helen said. Suddenly I was filled with unspeakable joy.

“What?” I said.

“Yes, someone has filed for custody of you, and they have won. So you will be picked up at 3:45 today no later than 4. But before you go there are some things you need to do. First off complete all your chores” Helen said.

At Springwood, once you checked in you were assigned certain chores. That’s one thing Ingrid failed to tell once I first checked in. But Helen let me know right away, that everyone had chores to do. There were lots of stuff to do, you could work in the library, and organize books, keep everything in place, check kids in and check them out. You could be assigned to the kitchen, in which you had to wash dishes, mop floors, or clean tables. Kids weren’t allowed to prepare, cook nor serve food, for what reason, I didn’t know. Or you were assigned to keep the bathrooms tidy. And that’s what I was assigned, which was one of the worst jobs ever. Cleaning toilets, scrubbing floors, cleaning showers, sweeping, picking up leftover clothes. The worst part was scrubbing behind toilets, so much gunk, and grimy slime, toilet water, was back there. And you had to get on your hands and knees, and scrub with a brush. Sometimes girls left dirty pads, used tampons, dirty underwear, and such in the restrooms. It was sickening, and boy was I glad when it was all over. But cleaning restrooms, was good in a way, because it took time off my hands, and kept my mind busy.

“Secondly, change the sheets on your bed, and be sure to gather all your things. You must leave the room just as it was when you first came here. Are we clear Joanna” Helen asked.

“Yes ma’am” I said.

“Good, now go finish breakfast, and then get to work” Helen said.

“Thank you, and yes ma’am” I said. I was so happy, I could barely stand it. I quickly finished breakfast. And got right to doing my chores and such. Kate kept her promise, she really was coming back for me. I cleaned the bathrooms with joy, because I knew I would never have to do this again. I smiled all day long, 3:45 took forever to get here. Time went by so slow when you wanted to race on by. I finished all my chores in no time. I then changed my sheets on my bed, and cleaned my side of the room. I had left everything just as I found it. I checked twice just to be sure. Now that everything was done, all I could do was wait. I was so excited, I had been here for a whole month and a few days now, and I couldn’t wait to get out of here. I can’t believe Kate kept her promise. I wondered how everything had been going since I’d been away. I wondered was Coach Jamison doing any better. Most of all I wondered how Ying was, oh how I missed my Ying. It was becoming quite lonely without her. I was so happy, I could nearly jump for joy. As time came neared, my heart raced, finally, I’d be home free.

“Joanna Humphrey please report to front desk for checkout, Joanna Humphrey please report to front desk for checkout” Ingrid said over the intercom. I quickly grabbed my bag, and ran for the front desk. I couldn’t get there fast enough. Not even my heavy duffle bag could slow me down. I ran like the wind to the front desk. Then I got to the front desk, and there a lady with dark hair stood. She had a baby car seat sitting beside her feet. She had back turned, she was signing papers. Please don’t tell me this is who I think it is. My eyes widened in horror, and when she turned to face. I wanted to run right back to my room and hide. I hadn’t seen her in months.