War

"We're going to war with England!?" Papa announced as he read the paper.

"Mercy, darling, would you be a dear and change into your dress?" cooed my mother. "The Schuylers will be here in a moment."

I just sighed. My parents were always telling me that my wealth was a gift, but sometimes it was more like a burden. I ran up the stairs to change into my ball gown. Helga, my maid started ranting at me.

"Where ever have you been? I have been waiting for you for ages." piped Helga before she shoved me into my corset.

I tried to breathe as normally as possible as Helga pulled my corset tighter and tighter.

"Can't breathe." I choked.

"What was that dear?"

"Nothing."

Then Helga shoves me into ten pounds of ruffles.

"Mercy? They're here!" Mother half hoots, half yells.

I rush down the stairs, careful not to trip on my gown.

"Lord Schuyler! How do you do?" I say careful to disguise how frazzled I was. "Lady Schuyler," I say. She barely looks at me, but gives me a contempt sniff and walks past me. 

"Mercy! Its been so long!" says Angelica, the oldest Schuyler sister/

"Its good to see you again, Angelica," I say politely remembering all my etiquette lessons with mother.

"Hello, Mercy," says Peggy.

"Pleasure to see you again Peggy," I tell her.

"And Eliza," I say, grinning in spite of myself.

"Oh, Mercy, It's so great to see you again," says Eliza.

"We have so much to catch up on." I say.

"Have you heard about the war?" she asks me.

"Yes, I begged Papa to let me join the war effort, but he didn't listen."

"Oh, Mercy, you were always a rebel," giggles Eliza. "Oh, heavens, this dress is uncomfortable."

"Oh, good Lord, do not get me started." I say.

Later...

"Eliza, do you think I could disguise my self as a boy and sneak into to he war?" I ask.

"You could, but that is a stupid idea." she tells me. "And besides, who would I hang out with if you left?"

"You're right. That was silly." I said.

"Wow, what a beautiful evening," Eliza said.

She was right, the sun had begun to sink.

"Hey! If you were a soldier, you would have to sleep in a tent with smelly boys," teased Eliza.

I burst into a fit of giggles.

"Are you ok?" Eliza said, sounding fakely concerned

This made me laugh even harder.

"I'm good, I'm good," I say as I wipe the tears from my eyes. 

Angelica poke her head around the screen.

"Eliza? It is time to go."

"Alright Angelica," Eliza said as she followed her sister.

"Ack, I have to get to the door," I said, racing in front of them.

I stopped at Mother and stood primly with perfect posture.

"Thank you for the pleasure, Lord and Lady Williamsburg," said Lord Schuyler as he bent down and kissed her hand and shook his hand.

"Goodbye Lord Schuyler!" I said as their family walked out of the door.

Eliza turned around and flashed me a quick grin before she hurried after her sisters.

Later in my bed I'm thinking, Maybe running away is not such a terrible idea after all.

And I carefully plan out my escape.