Midnight

I was ready.

I had sewn boys wear for my sewing practice.

I had practiced the voice I would use.

I had come up with an escape plan.

This is it: Ten minutes before midnight I would change, then shear my hair of using my sewing scissors. My friend Holly in the kitchen will grab a lantern and some rations I could eat on the journey and deliver them upstairs. At midnight I would sneak out of the house and grab Barnaby, my favorite horse. Then I would ride to Washington's camp which is about five miles south from our house, according to the map I stole from Papa to copy. Last but not least, I wrote my parents a note.

"Mercy? Bedtime!" cooed my mother.

I got changed into my nightgown and without a word, shut off the lights.

I slept for about an hour, then woke up to study the map more and recheck the route I would be taking.

When I looked up, it was about eleven fifty. 

Perfect.

I very silently opened the door. I heard footsteps and saw Holly's shadow come up the stairs.

I gently closed the door. Moments later, I heard a click and Holly shifted the door open. She quickly laid down a basket, closed the door, and left.

I smiled. There were several buns in the basket, along with a canteen of water and a lantern. I also saw a note.

Dearest Mercy,

First of all, thank you for being such a good friend. You helped me get through some hard times in this household. Please, be safe. Good luck!

Your friend,

Holly

I wiped away a tear. Good old Holly. I had so many good times with her. I pictured us stealing buns from the kitchen when we were little. I would miss her.

I sat down and wrote my own letters.

Dear Eliza,

I've decided to run away to join the war. Wherever you are, I hope that you are safe. By the time you read this, I might be dead. I'll miss you, and always remember the times we had together.

Love,

Mercy.

Dear Mother and Papa,

By the time you read this, I will be long gone. I want you to know that I love you, and will miss you dearly,

Love,

Mercy.

I left the latter on my bedspread, while I put the other one in my satchel. I wrapped the buns in the cloth and put them in the satchel with the canteen. I also tucked in Holly's letter.

Finally I changed. I took my sewing scissors and sheared my hair. I was ready. 

I used the rope I found in the stables to sneak out of my window. As soon as I was out, I pulled it down. I saddled up Barnaby and we rode into the night.