Chapter 2

"Dr. Camila Cabello," I hear my name be called from behind me. I turn around to find my best friend, other than Shawn of course.

"Dinah Jane, how was Malibu," I ask, pulling her into a large hug. Dinah has been gone for the past week with her newlywed wife, Normani. They went to Malibu for their honeymoon and had just gotten back last night.

"Beautiful, amazing, beautiful amazing sex. That sums it all up," Dinah says with a smirk on her face.

"Well at least one of us is getting laid," I mutter to myself. Dinah apparently hears because she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Thought you went to that club the other night," she ask as we walk into the surgical locker room to put on our scrubs.

"You know how that goes. Too many sleazy guys, not enough pretty lesbians," I say with a sigh.

"But Nik's new babysitter is pretty good looking," I add, more so for myself than for Dinah. Dinah raises an eyebrow and I know exactly what she's asking.

"I don't know if she likes girls, Dinah," I say, finally getting undistracted and undressing myself to put my work attire on.

"Well you know what the people nowadays say, get under them and that's when you'll know," Dinah says with a wink as she too puts her scrubs on.

"Dinah, no one says that," I pointed out as I walked out of the room, knowing Dinah will follow.

"Maybe people should start saying that then," she replies before bidding me goodbye and going her own way as I go my own. I look down at my chart to see that I need to go check in on my first patient of the night. I walk in to find the girl sleeping peacefully in bed.

"Arti, its time to wake up," I say quietly, nudging the five year old awake.

"Are the bad monsters back," she ask sleepily, rubbing her eyes before forcing them open.

"I don't know yet, sweetie. This is our last bit of magic to see if it worked," I answer as I take her blood for the last test, hoping that it comes out as a positive result.

"If the potion worked," she ask quietly, as if she didn't want to wake any of the other kids up.

"Exactly," I say as I put a Doc McStuffins bandaid on the already bruising area. Arti had Lukemia when she was two years old, luckily for the last year she has been in remission. Until now, she's been back in the hospital for three months already. Now we think the cancer might had come back.

"Alright sweet girl, go back to sleep and I will have the other doctor inform you tomorrow," I tell her as she lays back down.

"I don't like the other one as much as I like you," she mumbles as she drifts in and out of sleep. I smile fondly before leaving the room as quiet as possible.

I leave to go on to my next patient, then the next and so on. Once all of the children had what they needed done I went to get Arti's test results, having sent them in earlier. As I pick up the envelope and look inside my heart shatters. I have to sit down as I feel light headed looking at the results. The cancer is not only back, but it has spread.

You form bonds with your patients, not just kids either. Young or old a bond is made as you try everything you have to save their lives. And sometimes, unfortunately, you don't succeed in saving their lives. I have never been able to fathom if it is better working with children instead of adults or not. As a kid everything is happy and they don't worry as much as adults. Plus they're more fun to talk to, but when they die it's horrible. I mean sure it's horrible with any patient, but my hands just killed a child. A small, fragile, dependent on me child just died on my table.