4. nihil de nihilo fit

nihil de nihilo fit.

jungkook's eyes fluttered open, the sweet aroma of baked rolls wafting into his bedroom. he blinked a few times, rubbing his eyes lazily, to allow his eyes to adjust to the brightness of his room. had he fallen asleep?

he slowly began to remember as he saw the dark blues and yellows and purples on a canvas in his bedroom: taehyung had showed up the night before, seokjin fast asleep on jungkook's couch, only to state that he would be out of town for a weekend and to not worry about him.

and somehow, for the first time in probably years, he was able to sleepㅡmaybe it was the idea that taehyung would be safe, if only for a weekend.

a head peeked into his bedroom, and seokjin was carrying a plate of rolls in his hands. "i-i made you some rolls," he said, shuffling his feet. he held the plate out further. "thank you."

jungkook stood, examining the sweet-smelling rolls. "they look amazing, hyung, but shouldn't i be the one saying thank you? you made me breakfast, and a really good one at that."

pink dusted over seokjin's cheeks, and the older set the plate down on jungkook's flat palms. "i-i don't need you to compliment me so much. i made them as part of my thank you for allowing me to stay with you for the time being," the older backed towards the door again. "i'll go clean the dishes."

jungkook took a small bite of one of the rolls, savoring the taste that drifted over his tongue. a canvas waiting to be filled with pinks and yellows caught his attention; it leaned against the closed window. taehyung was, hopefully, happy and having the time of his life, so jungkook would be the same, causing his paintings to be brighter and more exuberant.

and though he hated the reason taehyung would be back, he couldn't wait to see his silver-blonde prince again.

it was monday night. taehyung had presumably returned to his home earlier that morning, and jungkook was painting at his window, humming a song that he heard playing softly on the radio. the sound of gravel crunching and rocks being kicked outside of his window caused him to lift his head. his heart beat sped up as the moonlight shined on a very familiar blonde boy.

but even so, he didn't waste a single second and crawled quickly out of his window, his bare feet pounding against the damp grass and eventually the sharp gravel. he didn't mind so much about that anymore though - taehyung was much more important.

"you're back," jungkook said as he grew closer to the boy. the older nodded in response. "how was being out of town? did you have fun?"

"no." the response was short, blunt.

jungkook frowned. "i'm sorry. did something happen?" his eyebrows furrowed together as taehyung just slumped in response. "it's okay if you don't want to talk about it. is there a reason you're here, though?"

"isn't there always a reason?" taehyung scoffed, picking at a loose string on his sweatshirt. he sighed and pulled a tiny sheet of paper out of his pocket. "i wrote this last night. i wanted to come here then, but as you already know, i couldn't. writing this made me feel better."

your door is always open and so is mine, so why is it always i that must walk to you? you greet with a hug that could melt mid-winter snow and i feel so blessed to be with you. you talk like the dew on spring leaves and smile as if just that look could heal, but you never come to me. i want to run toward you, yet stay away. i want to be strong and nonchalant but i cannot be. i feel drawn in and that makes me want to pull back. my world without you is colder, but i'm accustomed to it. i wish you would just come to me, even if it was only once.