Awkward

Just a disclaimer, this story WILL contain sexual themes. Meaning, if talking about sex makes you uncomfortable, don't read this story. (It's not in this chapter but it will be coming)

"Annabeth," Luke spits coldly.

"Um..." She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "Why are you here?"

"Your shift ended ten minutes ago and you hadn't even texted me, so I came to check up on you since you can't be bothered to take some responsibility."

Everyone looked at each other nervously.

Percy's face distorted into a scowl. Luke Castellan was a master in Asshole-ery. How could he speak like that to her? Over practically nothing?

Annabeth scoffed in annoyance. "Sorry I was with my friends. I can drive myself home, Luke."

He rolled his eyes. "Did you not just hear a word I said? I was worried about you."

"Your tone sure as hell doesn't support that."

The energy at the table was tense. The situation remained awkward, yet everyone was on edge, especially Percy.

Luke's nostrils flared. "Let's go, Annabeth."

Demanding. Rude. Possessive.

Percy had seen this very behavior before with his own eyes. With his abusive step-father. Percy flooded with worry... But there was no way. The golden boy at school couldn't be such an awful human.

But the thoughts wouldn't leave Percy's mind. If he could ever prevent it from happening to anybody else, he would.

As Annabeth was about to open her mouth again, Percy spoke instead.

"And where do you go around speaking to her like that?" he inquired. His words spiked with sass and challenge.

Percy loved a good challenge.

"And where do you go around speaking to me like that? Stay out of this, Jackson."

"No, really. I wanna know." He crossed his arms and leaned back. Percy knew the perfect times to be an ass.

"Percy," Annabeth whispered, and shook her head. A warning.

But Percy didn't care.

Luke's fists clenched as his apparent anger rose. "Jackson, you are really pushing it."

Percy smirked devilishly. "Good to know. Still haven't gotten my answer though."

"Percy, stop. There's no reason to fight; I'll go," Annabeth said. She clearly didn't want to go, but she also clearly didn't want Percy picking a fight.

He stared into her wondrously gray eyes for a moment before nodding. She smiled gravely and got up from her seat.

As the couple was turning to leave the restaurant, Percy spoke some final words. "Hey, Luke!" he called out.

Luke turned halfway and looked at Percy awaiting what he had to say.

"You're an asshat."