Chapter 6

My eyes slowly fluttered open and the first thing I saw were a bunch of bright lights shining down into my eyes. For a good second, I didn't know where I was. But then my eyes adjusted to the lighting of the room and I realized I was still at the GCPD. I sat up way too quickly I ended up getting a head rush.

"Whoa...take it easy now" a familiar voice says.

It was Jim. And standing right next to him was Lee. It was then I realized there was an ice pack on my head.

As Jim helped me stand up, I realized that I was still in the interrogation room. 

"W-what happened?" I asked.

"You had a breakdown and passed out and hit your head. Thank God you woke up. A few more minutes and we would've called an ambulance" Jim replies.

"How long have I been out?" I ask.

"15 minutes" Lee says.

Before asking any more questions, I took a minute to process everything I remember. I remember telling Jim what I know then taking me into this room where he questioned Jerome and Mr. Cicero. He turned into something. Something I've never seen inside him before. I thought maybe that was a dream, but I remember too vividly to be fake. I looked around, realizing only me, Jim, and Lee were in the room. Jerome and Mr. Cicero were gone. I looked at both of them with concern.

"Jerome?" I ask.

Jim and Lee don't answer. They just stare back.

"Where is he?" I ask.

Jim sighs. I couldn't tell if it was because he was tired or he was about to say something I didn't want to hear.

"Should I tell her or should you? I hear Lee whisper.

"Tell me what?" I ask.

Jim sighs again.

"It's too dangerous for you to be near Jerome. We took him someplace safe. Someplace that he will hopefully never hurt anyone ever again" Jim says.

I look at him with disbelief.

"Taken? Taken where? Is he here?" I ask.

"No unfortunately. He's too dangerous to be kept here. We took him someplace he could get help. We took him to Arkham Asylum" Jim replies.

Arkham Asylum? 

"But that's where the crazies are! Jerome's not crazy! I've known him practically my entire life. He doesn't belong there! He'll fry!" I yell.

"I know it's hard for you to process all this, but Isabelle, Jerome did kill his mother. All evidence pointed back to him. He'll be fine at Arkham. We're going to get him help" Jim says.

"I want to see him" I say.

"I can't allow you to do that" Jim says.

"Please, he's my best friend. I have to see him" I say.

Lee gently touches Jim's shoulder and says quietly, "Jim, she's been through a lot. At least let her visit him."

Jim takes a minute to think about it.

 "Fine. I'll take you first thing in the morning" Jim says.

As much as I wanted to see Jerome now, I realized sleep was more important than that. It was very late and I felt like I could pass out again any second now. I nod my head.

"Thank you" I say.

"Alright let me take you home" Jim says.

"Jim let her sleep at our place. She'll feel safer" Lee says.

Literally the only thing I got from that sentence was "our place." I could only assume that meant Jim and Lee were dating. I honestly would've never thought that.

"Alright, let's go home then" Jim says.

I stared out at the dark city skyline and Lee prepared the bed for me in the guest bedroom of the apartment.

"So who's place is this?" I speak up simply just to avoid the long awkward silences.

"It's mine" Lee simply says. 

"I didn't know you and Detective Gordon were dating. Well, until you mentioned 'our place' back at the police department. I know it really wasn't my business to know, but I honestly wouldn't have thought about it. I thought you two were just close friends/co-workers" I say.

"Well, we hope to try and keep it that way. Being that the police department is a very formal place, we have to try and keep feelings under wraps" Lee adds.

"It's okay. You guys make a good couple" I say.

Lee smiles and finishes up with the bed. She walks out of the room for a few moments and then comes back with a T-shirt and pajamas bottoms.

"Here these should fit" Lee says.

"Why are you guys being so nice to me?" I ask.

The question honestly bloomed out of nowhere. 

"I mean I appreciate everything you are doing. But you guys just met me and I was involved in a murder investigation. How can you guys be so nice to me after that?" I ask.

"Because I believe there are still good people left in Gotham. And everyone should do everything they can for one another to bring Gotham to glory. It's the littlest deeds that make a big difference in this city" Lee replies.

Before I could even say anything else, Jim approaches the room and stands in the doorway.

"Nice and comfy yet?" he asks.

I climb up on the bed and sit down. Just by doing this, I already felt comfortable. I nod my head.

"Well, we hope everything is to your liking. Come get us if you need anything" Jim says.

I smile and nod. Jim returns the nod politely and turns around to walk out. Lee smiles at me before walking out and closes the door behind her. As soon as they were gone, I change out of my dirty clothes into the fresh new pjs. The T-shirt was a little big, but I liked it that way. After changing, I switch off the light next to me and lie my head down on the pillow. I stare out the window and at the skyline again from the bed. I couldn't help but think about Jerome. It's only been a few hours since I last saw him and I already miss him. I sigh and roll over so that I was looking up at the ceiling. I continued to think about Jerome until I didn't even realize I fell asleep.