3| Greaseball

(That's Natalie!) ⬆

It turned out, Riley knew just as much about the Roman Empire as I did

It turned out, Riley knew just as much about the Roman Empire as I did...which was absolutely nothing. So, taking advantage of no supervision, I pulled out my phone and googled the answers. Riley tried asking Drew for help first, but after getting ignored, he joined me in my cheating ways. Hey, if Mrs. Shaffer isn't going to teach me, then I'll get google to do it for her.

When we finished, I started working on my flyers. Riley tried to keep talking to me, but he must have noticed I was really focused because a few minutes later he moved back and started talking to Drew. I felt bad, expecting him to get ignored again, but surprisingly, Drew didn't act like a complete douchebag. He actually sounded like he was talking to his best friend. How close are they?

Finally tuning out their conversation, I got back to work on my flyers. "Natalie's Babysitting Service". That was the title I went for; very original, I know. Before we moved from New Jersey, I had about five kids that I watched regularly. Some of them I had from infancy, and I watched them grow into adorable trouble-making toddlers.

It was hard having to say goodbye to each one of them, because I had given them a piece of my heart. If you've ever seen the end of The Help when Mae-Mobely cries out for Abeline to stay, then you can imagine how hard it was to walk away from them. That's one of the reasons why I'd been saving up money to get my own place back in New Jersey. I didn't want to live with Tracy anymore. If my Dad was there, sure, I'd stay. But he rarely was, so it wasn't enough.

When the bell rung, I packed up the flyers and headed out toward the parking lot, waving goodbye to Riley as I left.

I didn't go to the cafeteria because I wasn't interested in having the infamous "awkward moment" when you have to figure out where to sit for lunch yet. Instead, I decided to eat out.

Once I was in my car, I pulled out my phone and looked up the closest restaurants to me. A McDonald's was only 2 miles away, but there was also a diner just a little bit closer.

You eat too much fast food anyway, Nat. Give the little diner a chance.

So, instead of embracing my inner fatty, I let Siri lead me to the little diner up the street. And yeah, I know it probably wasn't much better for me than McDonald's, but when I thought about how much money I spent there, I realized I need to shake things up a bit; and probably find out where the nearest gym is.

When I pulled up to the diner, I could see that a few kids from school were also there, but it was no one I recognized from the two classes I had so far. I sat on one of the stools up front, where I could see the people in the kitchen cooking, and plopped my bookbag on the stool next to me.

Looking around, I noticed a bulletin board with a ton of newsletters, announcements, and flyers. Perfect! I literally couldn't get any luckier. I waltzed over to it, bringing my bag with me. Seeing an open thumbtack, I pinned one of my flyers to the board. Now anyone that needed a babysitter could pull off a tab and be able to call me.