11| Sucker Punch

Okay, who is this weirdo hiding behind my locker door and do I need to prepare myself to hurt somebody?

I slammed my locker door shut, causing them to jump.

"What do you want, creep?" I asked calmly, but fierce.

I crossed my arms over my chest and shifted all of my weight to one of my legs, all while staring into the eyes of the kid from earlier. At least I probably won't have to hurt him...as if I could do much damage anyway.

His mouth was slightly open, but nothing was coming out.

"Well, speak. And if you aren't then leave me alone," I said, tired of this delay.

"Oh, I-uh...I wanted to say thanks," he stammered, his voice a little unsteady from nerves.

"Okay, and what exactly are you thanking me for?" I was completely lost on where this kid was going with this. If he was trying to flirt with me, he was doing a terrible job.

"Um, you're Natalie Drake, right?" he asked, his eye scrunching up in confusion.

"The one and only," I stated, opening my arms to gesture toward myself. I saw his face start to relax at my confirmation.

"Okay, good. Well, I'm Jeremy, and you actually saved my butt last week," he started explaining to me.

I could feel my body stiffen at the recognition of who he was. He's the kid Drew was fighting, which meant he was the kid that knocked up Leila and dumped her.

"Man, that Andrew guy was out of control! I mean, he went all caveman on me and probably would have killed me if you didn't show up!"

I was trying really hard to let his words go in one ear and out the other, but my brain decided it wanted to process everything he spoke. Yeah, a week ago I would have agreed with the way he described what happened, but now I was starting to feel like he deserved what he got.

"Honestly, I don't get why he wasn't expelled over that crap. You don't just go around assaulting innocent people. Do you know he-"

Um, I don't really know what came over me, and I didn't plan to do it. I guess hearing him refer to himself as innocent after what he did to Leila kinda threw me over the edge and next thing I know...

"You psycho she-devil! I think you broke my nose, again!" Jeremy screamed, catching some of the blood dripping from his nose.

I looked around at the faces of people starting to notice us, or maybe they already were watching us, but either way there was a mixed display of emotions. Some people look horrified, others shocked. A few guys were actually cheering me on to hit him again, while some just acted like they didn't see anything.

I recognized a few of the seniors walking by from some of my classes, and then I finally saw a smug Aliyah watching. With her hair pulled up into a bun, and big hoops accessorizing her ears, she looked beautiful. And now she looked like she just found a hundred bucks on the ground.

"Don't worry, kid," she said, walking up to us. "I saw the whole thing. Why don't we go report this to the principal."

I rolled my eyes so far back I was sure I just saw my brain. This chick doesn't even know what he did to deserve that punch and...ow! My hand freakin' hurts!

I started to examine it but then the bell rang, causing me to rush off to Digital Studios.

As soon as Mr. Chester released us to work independently, the classroom filled with unfocused chatter.

"Tell me it's not true," Kimi sighed as she leaned over to get closer to me.

"Tell you what's not true?" I asked innocently, hiding my pulsing hand.