Chapter 10 | Truth

Asami blinked only once, but in that incredibly short instance, her surroundings had changed. She was no longer standing with both feet on the ground, enveloped by tall trees, but strong breezes made her hair go up in the air, swinging from side to side in a violent manner. There was nothing but a beautiful blue sky around her, which made her almost forget in what kind of horrid situation she was in.

Her eyes fell on a certain someone's back as this person carried her on his shoulder, the Uchiha crest immediately grasping all of her attention. His dark hair was, just like hers, being played with by the wind as they moved forward to a destination which was unknown to the Uzumaki, but Madara seemed to know where he was taking them.

Asami let her hands go down his back, gripping his attire tightly between her fingers, making sure not to accidentally pull at his long locks. She knew that Madara already held her secure enough, and even though a fall from this ridiculous height would not kill her, the fear of falling wouldn't leave her body.

But it wasn't only panic that made her heart rate increase. 

Being able to see him again, even touching him, made her happier than acceptable under these circumstances. Asami should be wary of him, questioning him and his motives, yet she shamelessly enjoyed this moment while it was still possible.

It would only be short-lived after all.

The instant Madara's feet touched the ground, he lifted Asami off his shoulder. The Uzumaki stumbled back, still having the feeling as if she was floating in the air, until her back hit one of the many boulders they were surrounded by.

Asami blinked, trying to calm her racing heart by placing a hand on her chest.

''Asami.''

Upon hearing him call her name, Asami slowly looked up until her green eyes stared right into his beautifully red Sharingan, but a frown settled on her face once she noticed the black sclerae that surrounded the bloodline trait of the Uchiha. His skin was also marred with cracks, just like hers.

Madara was also a reincarnation.

Asami couldn't be more confused now, and she started to doubt all the information she had received up till now. According to Shikamaru, Madara was the enemy, but he couldn't possibly have summoned himself from the dead. What was going on?

''Asami,'' A hand on her shoulder interrupted her train of thoughts, snapping her back to the cruel reality she was in now.

War, once again.

Her eyes found his once again, but she found it surprisingly hard not to turn her face away. It was difficult to look at him for some reason, no matter how much Asami had wanted to see him.

''The boy,'' Madara spoke, his voice almost a whisper, yet he still sounded as firm as ever. He seemed to waver for a second, his eyes darting away to the side before they made contact with hers again. ''What was his name?"

Asami froze for a moment, her chest tightening up as her heart seemed to stop beating. He couldn't possibly mean Kouta, right? Asami sealed him away before Madara could have seen him, and even if he sensed Kouta's chakra, Madara wouldn't know that it'd be his son's. The two of them never met after all. And how would Madara know that it's a boy?

''W-Who exactly do you mean?"

Asami didn't mean to stutter, but she couldn't help it. The nervosity was kicking in, and her stomach was making all kind of turns again. If Madara truly saw her sealing Kouta away, would he resent her? Or would he understand? And if he didn't see it, it'd be righteous to tell him what happened to their kid, but Asami didn't think she'd have to courage to do so.

Asami fidgeted with her fingers as she waited for his reply, anxious for his answer.

Madara visibly clenched his jaw before he spoke. ''Our son.'' He said. ''What was his name?"

A lump formed in Asami's throat, making it difficult for her to breathe. His words made her feel as if she was suffocating, drowning in guilt. After all, she didn't only seal her away her own child, but also wasted the only opportunity for Madara to meet his son. And even though she didn't want that to happen in this situation, it didn't change the fact that there probably wouldn't be another possibility again.

Asami tried to swallow the lump, but without any success. ''Kouta,'' She breathed, answering his question, sounding slightly hoarse. ''Uchiha Kouta.''

Astonishment was clearly visible on his face, and he didn't even bother to mask it. ''You gave him my surname?"

Asami was now surprised at his disbelief. ''Of course I did..'' She murmured softly. ''I wanted him to have something of you, and I already wanted him to carry the Uchiha name from the start.''

There was a short silence after that, and Asami couldn't help but wonder why Madara hadn't asked where Kouta was, or why she sealed him away. The anxiousness only grew, and the Uzumaki the anxiousness increased by the second. Could it be that the Uchiha hadn't seen them?

''Madara..?'' She asked reluctantly after she couldn't stand dealing with her frustratingly nauseating feelings anymore. ''H-How.. How did you know that Kouta was a boy?''

Madara didn't answer immediately, and Asami's restlessness only grew by the second. She didn't like this pause. It made her feel as if something was not completely right, and the fault of this wrongness didn't lie with her.

''I saw him.'' Madara spoke. ''And you.

Asami made fists of her hand and held them tightly against her stomach. He was being vague, which made Asami anxious of what he was going to say next. She wanted clear responses, not incomplete ones, but it seemed like she'd have to continue asking to get the answers she wanted.

Asami breathed softly, digging her nails into the palms of her hands. ''..When?"

Madara looked to the side. ''When I buried you.''