6| In With The New

I was at my locker, still trying to process things when a certain tall blonde came up to me.

"Okay. Tell me exactly what happened," Riley said, leaning up against the lockers beside mine.

I looked up at him, taking in his expression. He looked angry, but I couldn't tell if he was angry at me, or just frustrated that Drew got suspended.

"If you're here to yell at me, then go away," I muttered, closing my locker and heading to second period.

He probably wasn't expecting my cold response, but I was on edge and couldn't filter my attitude.

"I'm not gonna yell at you," Riley said with a sigh, running his hand through his hair as he walked with me to my next class.

"Okay, good," I sighed, letting my guard down. "What do you want to know?"

I figured, if anyone deserved to know what happened, it was Riley. He already helped me out two different times, and that was all on my first day. All the other nosey kids could take their questions and stick 'em where the sun didn't shine, but I'd do my best to answer his.

"People are saying Drew got into some fight with a junior. Is that true?"

"Yeah, it is," I answered, void of any emotion.

"Well, who is he? I heard someone say it was a fight for your honor? Does that mean the guy was your boyfriend or something?" he asked, bending down to my height as he looked me in the eyes.

He looked serious, but I couldn't keep from making a disgusted face at him.

"Gross! No! Paully is my step-brother," I stressed, making sure that point was very clear.

"Ah, that makes sense. The other new kid would be related to you. At least I know why he hates Drew, too."

"First of all, Paully is a Castrano. I am a Drake. We don't share the same blood, so we're barely related," I started saying as he listened attentively, holding his chin with his hand.

"Second of all, Paully wouldn't hate Drew just because I did; which I don't. I strongly dislike him, but I don't hate him."

"Well, you shouldn't. He's actually a good guy."

That stopped me dead in my tracks. A good guy? Ha, yeah right. I just met the guy, but even I can tell that's not likely.

"Riley, I literally witnessed him pounce on a sophmore and beat his face into the ground. That doesn't sound like a nice guy to me."

"Yeah, well you don't know him. He could have had a very good reason to do that."

Once again, I was confused on how I felt about this potential friendship with Riley. He was super outgoing and friendly, and I felt really comfortable around him. He was currently my favorite company here, although it was only my second day.

Plus, it was obvious he and Drew are best friends. Just yesterday, in class, I could tell there was a serious bromance that'd been going on for years between them. So, if I wanted to be friends with Riley, it'd be inevitable that I would see Drew more often than I would without Riley as a friend.

"How long have you known him?" I asking, no longer wanting to focus on my thoughts.

"Drew?" he asked with a smile. "Man, I've known that guy since second grade."

Yup, that could be a problem.

Seeing I had no further interest in knowing more about his friendship with Drew, Riley went back to questioning me.