Flutter - Written Piece

I need to take a break from drawing for a minute and write something :)

This is from the Flutter story line, but in written form. It will appear in a future episode

"Basil?" Ryan asked softly from the other side of the clearing. His wings were at his sides, one hoof raised, his head cocked slightly. He quietly walked over to the figure sitting before him.

The setting sun sent it's dying rays of light over the trees, casting dark shadows over the forest floor, like black scars. The shadows of the trunks moved smoothly over Ryan's body as he walked over to the cat.

The cat flicked his ear, his amber eyes dark. He lifted his head and looked at Ryan. Ryan would've sworn he saw a shadow of sadness cloud his eyes, but it was gone as fast as frost under the morning sun. "Yes, Ryan, what is it?" The tomcat readjusted, letting his long tail fall over his neatly placed paws.

The piebald peryton put his ears back, casting his gaze down in embarrassment, "I was hoping to ask you something."

Basil twitched an ear again, "Well yes, I assumed so," Basil said dryly. The tomcat took on a more sincere look as he caught Ryan's worried and anxious gaze.  

"Have you ever," Ryan paused, looking back up at Basil's amber gaze, "loved someone?" 

Basil's face grew slightly warm, he slanted his ears down, "Yes, once, I did," a warm smile took over his face, his eyes sparking with warmth. "Why do you ask?"

"How did you know if she felt the same way? Did she tell you?" Ryan asked, anxiety made his voice crack, his violet eyes worried.

Basil laughed suddenly, making Ryan jump. His laugh always reminded Ryan of an old tree, cracking open his chest and letting out great eruptions of joy. Basil wasn't physically old, but inside, the tom was older than the ground beneath them.

Ryan's voice dropped to a tone of annoyance, gaining back his usual shell of sarcasm, "What's so funny?"

Basil whipped a tear from his eye with one paw, "I'm sorry, Ryan, I just, I don't know anything about girls," he said, still snickering. 

The peryton looked confused, "You said that you loved someone before-" Ryan's eyes grew wide with understanding. He looked down, "Oh."

Basil rolled his eyes, using his tail to bring the peryton's head back up. Ryan gave a small smile of embarrassment, his face hot.

Basil only laughed, "It's okay, I get that a lot," the tom's face grew more serious, "But I do know a thing or two about love. I'm guessing we're talking about Thyme?" Ryan said nothing but cast his gaze back down again.

"Yes we are, okay," Basil laughed softly. "Look, Ryan, I want you to know that I think of you as a brother,"

Ryan raised his eyebrows, smiling, "Ditto, Bas."

"And as a brother," Basil continued, "it's my duty to be honest with you. You are a very methodical and fact based kinda guy. It's not a bad thing, Ry, but you get in your own way to much. Don't over think how you feel. This, right here, "Basil put his paw over Ryan's heart, "is the only thing that should be talking. Love isn't about thought. It isn't about what goes on in your head, it's what going on in here."

The tom gave a soft laugh, "So don't be so nervous, okay? Trust me, I was nervous too, believe it or not. But I put my thoughts aside and let my heart do the thinking. So tell her how you feel, plain and simple," the cat gave a half smile, "It worked for me, didn't it?"

 So tell her how you feel, plain and simple," the cat gave a half smile, "It worked for me, didn't it?"

And then I drew something anyway to go with the scene :,)

I hope you guys liked! :D