Chapter 42

Hello everyone! 

I'm sorry I haven't updated the story for so many days. There just was no time for me to do that. :( However, the story's not over yet. 

Please, continue reading and voting! 

Have an easy week at school,

Mērija XX

-----

- Mind if I join you? – Judith asks the moment she runs to me and Christian. – Laura, Vincent and Robert wanted to enter some kind of souvenir shop where toy guns were sold. I'm not into stuff like that, so... What's up? – I don't want to say anything to anyone anymore. If I should stay, I'll remain silent. Seems that Christian is devastated that there's another girl "disturbing his depressive peace", because he only lets out a "nothing" and then goes on being quiet again.

When Judith sees we're not willing to start a conversation with her, she starts asking questions to break the walls among us. – Where are you going?

- Nowhere. We're just walking. – Christian has always been so chatty and now... This really isn't the Christian I know.

- Oh, this is better than looking at the three of them, while they're shooting at each other with those pistols. – Judith doesn't seem to feel uncomfortable with us at all. To be honest, she's the only reason why I stay here and don't leave Christian alone. There's no use of me going away, because even if I did, Christian couldn't enjoy his own company anyway. There's Judith here and she definitely isn't leaving.

- Okay, so where are we going? – Judith is so enthusiastic I almost start weeping. Why is it so that while there are people suffering internally, there are also the lucky ones who have motivation to radiate happiness? Where's the righteousness?

- Marta? Where are we going? – Christian asks the same question. Well, why should I answer!? He doesn't even want to see me here beside him! Maybe I should say – I don't know about you two, but I'm going away? Should I leave Christian alone with Judith now?

No. Christian would realize I'm annoyed by his behaviour against me, which might lead to the guy finding out about my feelings for him. Perhaps it's already obvious I've fallen for Christian, but I haven't told it to him, so practically the secret's still safe with me (and some other six or seven people who know about it).

Instead of opening my mouth, I stretch out my hand and point straight forward in a manner of Mr. Bean.

- Alright then... - Judith has probably understood I'm not a chatterbox today. – There's a beautiful bridge over a canal that way. We could walk over there.

- I don't mind. And you, Marta? – Again Christian's asking me questions. Why do I get the feeling he just wants to see me suffer more by pretending that now he's interested in what I think and maybe even pleased that I'm here? Is this some kind of an act in front of Judith? I don't want to look into Christian's eyes to see whether he's mocking me or not. I still have some self-respect left.

- No. – Just one word. This one word won't do any harm, right?

- You're so quiet today that I start wondering, what's happened. – Christian's got to be teasing me right now. – What's wrong? This isn't the talkative Marta I know. – He definitely IS making fun of me. What an asshole! Using my own words and turning them against me now!

This second I realize that Christian's probably understood that I'm like this because of him pushing me away. Otherwise he wouldn't pay so much attention to me this instant. He'd just continue walking forward and thinking his depressive thoughts without even noticing me or Judith beside him. I'm such a stupid blondie! I should have acted like nothing had happened. I should have smiled when Judith joined us. I should have talked my heart out (as I always do) when Judith asked all these questions!

Christian has understood I'm offended by his words and actions (especially the part: "then you don't know me at all"). And I'm sure he's also aware that if a person gets offended, he usually cares about the offender, too.

I'll tell him what's wrong. I can't lose anything. He's already realized the truth anyway. – There's also a dispassionate side of Marta, which probably concerns you even less than the talkative side. What's the use of asking questions about how I fell if you're not interested in answers?

- I didn't say anything about not being interested. – Christian's making me furious!

- Yes, but you made me understand you're only interested in your own problems and solving them by walking around and thinking about how miserable and appalling your life is!

- I don't get where the problem is. Am I bothering you right now? – This big-headed, blameful stare of his is giving me goose bumps.

I don't want you to mourn about things which aren't worth being sad about. I LOVE YOU AND I WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY! And I wish you could see that I'd do whatever it takes to make you happy, if only you gave me the chance.

I can't say this to him (especially when Judith's listening to the conversation). – I'm sorry. I didn't want to say this. It's been a bad day for me and it was inevitable for me to explode.

- What a coincidence! It's been a bad day for me either... - Christian murmurs.

- Wow, guys! I suppose I've made it on time. – Judith stands between us and we continue walking to the bridge like this – with Judith as a wall between me and Christian. – I shall stay here, so that the both of you don't end up strangling each other.

I remain silent for the next 40 minutes, which are left for us to explore the town. We walk along narrow medieval streets and pass by many grand 19th century stone buildings on each side of the road. The view of small bridges over canals and massive cathedrals might be awe-inspiring, but it doesn't impress me at all. For me this is just another day in one of the numerous old towns of some kind of medium-size city in Europe. Brick streets, stone buildings, tourist traps and souvenir shops, no place to get off the beaten track, but a million places where to get lost... It all makes me crazy.

Judith's talking to Christian, and the guy seems to have opened up to her (Christian's talking about his "misadventurous adventures" while getting drunk at his friend's 16th birthday party and running along the streets completely naked – this is a rather intimate theme, isn't it?), but I can only focus on myself thinking: "Sooner or later Christian will get over Julia. And then he'll finally remember about the girl whom he asked to dance during the "Sing and Dance Night"."

I'll be waiting for this moment even if I have to wait for eternity.