Oberyn Martell - "I will be there for you from this day to my very last"

Your hands were trembling while you waited until you could enter the room. You were wearing a dress more beautiful than you had ever imagined and your hair was braided in a pattern you would never be able to create yourself.

"I hope you will be happy, my child." Your father looked at you for one last time before he started to guide you down the endless path leading to the very front.

Countless eyes were staring at you while your heels ticked on the cold stones, but there was only one pair of eyes that truly mattered. You locked your glance with Oberyn's and a smile spread across your face. You had never thought you would marry out of love. You had counted on being given away to a nobleman to create an alliance with another powerful house. You had counted on being forced to marry someone you had not even met.

But the man who was waiting for you with a glimmer in his eyes, was not just marrying you for your last name. He was not just marrying you for a political reason. He was marrying you because he loved you. He was marrying you because he couldn't stand the thought of you marrying someone else. He was marrying you even though he had sworn not to marry anyone ever in his life.

You knew that this was a big step for him. You knew that he had put aside one of his principles for your sake and in return you would allow him the freedom he needed, the freedom he wanted, the freedom to love other men and other women as long as he would always return to you.

Your father exchanged a silent glance with the man you were about to marry while he eventually stood still. Your father had both been shocked and pleased when he had heard the news. Even though he had already been looking for a suitable husband for you, he had never dared to hope that you would end up marrying a Martell.

"You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection." The sept cleared his throat and you faced Oberyn as if you were looking at him for the very first time in your life.

In a way it was weird to imagine him as a husband, to imagine him married, to imagine him picking you over so many others. In a way it was calming to know that you were this important to him, that he'd rather marry you than lose you forever.

You were certain that not one moment during this entire wedding ceremony would be as special as the moment he had asked you if you would like to marry him. You were certain that not one promise would be as special as the promise that he would make you officially his and would like to be officially yours in return.

The cloak Oberyn draped around your shoulders was much heavier than you had imagined it to be, but when he let his hands rest on your shoulders for a long moment you couldn't do anything but smile at him. "I will be there for you from this day to my very last." He whispered the words, knowing all too well that they were not part of the ceremony, but you only felt a more than pleasant warmth spreading through your entire body.

"Just as I will always be there for you."