A Strange Beginning

As my back hits the hard plastic of the gymnasium bleachers, I hear a high pitched voice from behind me.
"Jesse! Come sit with me!" Says a short girl with dark brown wavy hair and hazel eyes.
"Hey Maria," I say. I hadn't realized that up until this point I didn't see her over the summer.
"What do you think this assembly is for" inquires the tall blonde girl sitting next to Maria
"I couldn't tell you," I say.
"It's probably for the football team," Maria sneers.
Andrea, the blonde girl snickers.
"I don't see the point in that. It's not like they bother to support our teams."
This is true. Maria is captain of our school's debate team. Not once in her entire career has one person found the debate team important enough to support them. We're ok with it though, because as annoying as the football team may be, they are extremely competitive. Last year they won the state championship title. They wouldn't have made it as far as they did had it not been for Sam Anderson. Sam is a six foot tall boy with a slim figure, blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes. Unfortunately, he is the most attractive person that out school has to offer. I'd be just fine with him if he swung my way. That just isn't the case. In the past year alone, he's dated three different girls. In my honest opinion, he has some serious commitment issues.
"Look at Sam!" Maria whispers intensely
Sam has not only gotten taller over the summer, but has also gotten more attractive.
"Oh my god," I whisper back.
"Why is he so hot?" I say.
It's almost annoying to me. Sam must have heard me! He turns around and winks at us.
"He did not," I say as we file out of the gymnasium after the end of the assembly.
"He most certainly did," replies Maria.