chapter 6

I woke up groggily and sat up rubbing my eyes noticing Lucy wasn't in bed with me. I looked around the room seeing her hunched over her desk writing something down frantically.

    "Luce....?" I called out sleepily slowly dragging my feet over the edge of the bed making myself sit upright. " Whatcha doing?"

    Her head snapped up from her desk at the sound of my voice and shifted her gaze to me. She had that confused look on her face just like at the restaurant. This sobered me right up, I was on my feet before my brain caught up to my actions. I crossed the room in a few strides and was at Lucy's side. I placed my hand gently on her shoulder. She looked up at me blinking her eyes slowly as if trying to recognize me.

   that's when something finally clicked in her head "O-Oh hey Natsu, did you sleep well?" She spoke shakily trying to forget that feeling.

    "Of course, is everything OK?" I asked worriedly.

    She pursed her lips debating on what to say. Finally she slumped in her chair a cloudy look coming over her eyes, "I honestly don't know, things I try and remember just seem fuzzy..." She sighed.

    I placed my hands tenderly on her shoulders rubbing them soothingly, "has this ever happened before?"

    She shook her head softly tensing beneath my hands. "I'm going to go visit a doctor..." She said with finality.

    "Want me to come with?"

    She shook her head again. "Its boring and I'd be stressing out that you might burn the place down..." She giggled softly trying to seem like her normal self. I know Lucy, she always tries to be the confident one even when she's feeling small.

    I nodded thinking it would be best to give her some space. I continued to rub her back gently, you'll come straight to the guild once your done?"    "Of course Natsu" she said softly patting my hand assuredly.

    The two of us quickly got dressed thought it took every ounce of strength not to stare at her as she changed out of her pj's into her regular clothes.

    As we said our goodbyes we took our different paths. When I made it to the guild hall everyone was rambunctious as ever and it put this feeling of foreboding I have been feeling out of my mind. I quickly squared up against Gray, like usual I had the upper hand till he threw me at the table where Erza sat. As I hit it I felt somethi g squishy on my back. I looked up innocently to find Erza towering over me with a look of imminent death plastered across her face.her cake. I quickly dropped down on to all fours begging for her forgiveness.

    This went on for what felt like hours and before I knew it it was closing on dusk. I looked around the guild hall to find Lucy to be no where in sight. I started to get that nagging feeling something was wrong. I turned to Mira, "Have you seen Lucy?" I asked.

    "sorry Natsu, I haven't seen your girlfriend." she drew out the last word a devilish smirk across her lips.

    "I think somethings wrong, I'm going looking for her." I said. Just as I was about to leave I was stopped by Erza.

    "Not so fast Natsu. Tell us why you feel like something is off." The had a guarded expression.

     "I don't know she just seemed off yesterday and today. she said something about having a difficult time remembering. That's why I'm worried. What if she forgot how to get to the guild hall? or if something big is going on?" I pressed trying to get passed her.

    She nods in agreement allowing me to pass. "then I shall accompany you." she said. Just as I was about to protest Gray, Wendy and Juvia fell in behind me.

    "were a team after all," Wendy spoke up, "if she needs us. then we will help."

    I nodded quickly just wanting to go looking as fast as possible.

    We quickly split up checking all the few clinics that were in Magnolia. One after another we came up empty. Not a single one had seen our blonde haired friend. We quickly started scouring the town looking for any trace of her. When that came up empty we quickly all went back to Lucy's apartment. When I opened the door the inside felt cold. As I stepped into the living room it felt empty. Everything was still there but it felt as if all the emotion had been set free.

    "Luce....?" I called out awkwardly.

    No response.

    I cracked the door open to her room. Lights were off, the bed made and I saw something glittering on the desk. My eyes opened in horror. "her gate keys!" I exclaimed rushing into the room scooping them up from their resting place.

    "Natsu whats going on?" I heard Erza enter the room looking for an explanation for my outburst.

    "why are her keys here?" She asked as if I knew the answer.

    "I don't know..... She left with them this morning...." I mutter, my eyes completely fixated on the keys.

    "let's head back to the guild and inform the master. Maybe he can help us fill in the blanks." I didn't see her move but I heard her voice find its way behind me. I jumped slightly as she lay one of her armored gauntlets on my shoulder. "don't worry Natsu we will find her."

    As the five us entered the guild we knew something was wrong. Everyone had a look of shock as if a dragon had appeared before their very eyes.

    the master walked straight up to us as soon as we entered the hall.
    "There is something I need to tell you my children, and it may be hard for you to hear." He spoke with a very stern voice as if holding back a wave of emotion that was beckoning to be let free.

    I could feel a knot growing in my stomach as my face paled, "just tell us gramps. whats going on?" I said shakily.

    "Lucy heartfilia handed in her resignation an hour ago and is no longer a member of fairy tail."