Bonus (+II)

A/N This story has gotten more responses than I thought I would, so I was inspired to write an extra part. Thank you for all of your comments! I love reading them all. I hope you enjoy this bonus chapter :-
Fanart is by http://nonirikku.tumblr.com/

Alexander stared at the ceiling. It was dark, but his eyes had adjusted so he could make out the bumps of the textured ceiling. He was connecting the dots like they were stars, trying to make constellations out of the shapes.

John shifted next to him and Alexander quickly shut his eyes just in case John woke up. He didn't want John to know that he was still awake. His boyfriend was unbearable when it came to sleep, or more accurately his lack of it. Alex heard John sigh and knew that his ruse hadn't succeeded.

"Alexander, I know you're awake." Alex kept his eyes closed at John's words, hoping the boy would figure he was wrong and go back to sleep. "You can't fool me, Alex," John said and Alexander finally opened his eyes. John was looking at him sleepily, his eyes half open and his curly hair in tangles around him.

"Go back to sleep," Alexander said, kissing the top of John's head. John shook his head and propped himself up on his elbow so he was looking down at Alex.

"What time is it? Why are you still awake?"

"I don't know" Alexander huffed in frustration. He'd been asking himself that question for hours. "I tried to sleep, I really did. My mind just refuses to shut off."

"That's what you get for having such a big brain," John said with a smile, tapping Alexander's temple.

"Sometimes it works against me" Alex grumbled. He had an 8 am class and he hated going to it when he was sleep deprived. The professor was boring and Alexander's patience for boring things decreased dramatically when he was tired. John smiled at him and gave him a soft kiss.

"Close your eyes," John said, stroking Alexander's cheek. He looked more awake now and was looking at Alex with a familiar expression of worry.

"John, go back to sleep. I'm fine." Alexander pushed John's shoulder, trying to get him to lay back down.

"Shut up and close your eyes," John said firmly.

"Geesh, no need to be rude," Alex said with a smirk as he closed his eyes. John's hand moved from his cheek to his hair.

"Don't worry, 'bout a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be alright." Alexander's eyes flew open when John started to sing.

"Bob Marley?" He questioned. Even in the dark, he could see the blush on John's cheeks. The boy shrugged in an attempt to seem nonchalant.

"My mom used to sing it to me," John admitted, surprising Alex. John didn't talk about his mother very often. She had died when he was young and John didn't like to revisit those memories. Alexander closed his eyes again and waited for John to start singing again. When he didn't, Alex peeked open one eye.

"That was my cue for you to keep going," Alexander said. John gave him a happy smile and started singing as Alex once again closed his eyes.

"Singin', don't worry, 'bout a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be alright." John sang as he ran his fingers through Alexander's hair.

"I didn't know you could sing." Alexander couldn't help but interrupt, although he kept his eyes closed so he wouldn't get yelled at. John's voice shocked him and he couldn't believe he had never heard him sing before. His incredible boyfriend just kept getting better and better the more Alexander learned about him.

"Rise up this mornin', smile with the risin' sun," John ignored Alex and continued to sing. "Three little birds pitch by my doorstep." To his surprise, Alexander felt himself starting to drift off. "Singin' sweet songs, of melodies pure and true." Alex wanted to stay awake and hear John sing more, but the combination of John playing with his hair and his sweet, soft voice did him in. He fell asleep to the words, "Don't worry, 'bout a thing"