everlasting.

Bigger clumps of petals and flowers stuck to Sting's lungs and stomach, suffocating him and almost killing him, they told Rogue.

Rogue heard rumors that Sting was undergoing major surgery.

They said Sting refused to have the flowers removed.

They said Sting's lifespan got shortened drastically.

They said Sting was going to die in a few hours.

<●~○>

Though the figures were a hazy blur, Sting could see the surgeons working frantically. He tried to widen his eyes, but to no avail, so he had to settle with closing them once more.

He wakes up in a dream world that seemed too real.

He could tell: it was his future. Or, at least the future he wanted for a long, long time.

The future he would never live to see.

"Sting."

"Yeah?"

"Promise me something."

"It depends on what it is, Rogue."

"Fine, whatever, just... when the shadows take over, I want you to kill me."

"How can you say that with a straight face? That's not going to happen! How can you just--"

"Sting!"

"Stop it, Rogue, please just stop--"

"Sting. Please."

"...I can't refuse you. I..."

(I would do anything for you)

Sting wakes up. The surgery was done, and he smiles at the first person he sees. The doctor.

"Are you feeling well?" The doctor whispers, peering carefully at him. Sting smiles.

A tear slips down the side of his eyes. Sting smiles.

He thinks of Rogue. Sting smiles.

"I have one final request."

He tells the doctor his thoughts, and though teary-eyed, the doctor smiles back and nods.

Rogue was a book that Sting would never put back on the shelf. And somehow, that was okay.

<●~○>

To Rogue, Sting was a chapter.

He started as a happy, capital letter, way back when they were kids looking for reasons to live inside the world that wanted them dead. They fought their way in and out of situations for various reasons: to protect their guild, their friends, and each other.

Sting was always there, and Rogue was too used to it. Sting was bright. Sting was the sun.

Rogue saw them wheeling him to the morgue.

Sting was a chapter in his life that ended with an abrupt cliff-hanger.

Sting Eucliffe was declared dead 6 hours after the surgery.