epilogue

A/N: I didn't plan to post this until tomorrow but... have fun buddies. I've loved writing this story, and I'm so excited for us all to go through the sequel together. I love you all.

Books 2 and 3 in the Ravens Trilogy, The Golden and The Grim are now published and completed. A spin-off entitled Nightingale is in the process of being posted.

 Two months had passed since Sebastian Harlem arrived in the City of the Forgotten. The people were not pleased to have a newcomer assume such power, nor were they upset that he was a stranger. It seemed at first that they did not care. That the system meant nothing to them.

Phoenix left the City after two weeks. The remnants of his sister were left scattered along the office walls, her footsteps omnipresent on the concrete ground. It became too much, and though Sebastian and Cameron wished he would stay, Peregrin would mark his fresh start. This left the other two boys to manage the affairs of an entire civilization, what a job for two children who had yet to reach twenty years of age.

"Ever thought you'd be a politician?" Cameron had asked his partner one day.

"Never," Sebastian had laughed, "Is that even what we are?"

On a typical day, Mai would be found in the office alongside the two boys, having been promoted to military supervisor. She was responsible for organizing protective measures around the City, as well as training sessions to teach the others the skills needed for defense. Cameron was thoroughly concerned about the Riot when they'd first travelled to Peregrin, for none of them had any experience in combat. The Ravens in the City aimed to change that. Mai had appointed Nathan to be the main teacher in these sessions, as he was an accomplished fighter himself, and well trusted by her and the leaders.

Ellie was beyond pleased with this situation, as her older friends were finally trusting her enough to learn to fight. She was constantly training in classes, and was improving quickly. Mai was especially impressed with the younger girl, and was soon to start putting her in actual positions along their defenses.

Much to everyone's surprise, Nova's brother had opted to leave the Condors behind, and instead accompanied her and the Ravens to Peregrin. He was the only one to leave all of his people, and still his welcome could only be described as cold. As time passed, however, the Ravens grew to accept him into the fragile fabric of their new society, and he was soon a member of the City. Just as Nova was the Ravens' mechanic, she soon took the same position in their new settlement.

Corey, along with others, had fallen into the line of travelers who traded between the City and Peregrin, or the City and the Grove. Having lived in both the other camp and the forest, the trio was highly valued among the other merchants. Every time they returned, Sebastian was adamant about receiving updates on the situation at Peregrin, constantly asking for details about his sister and friends.

Across the abandoned highway, a three day trek over fifty-two miles southeast, the camp at Peregrin had grown to thrive. Not long after their founding, Marley opted to return to the City and operate the underground transport for the renegades who craved that open air and independence. Thanks to her, already fifteen people had joined the camp, and their numbers were only on track to increase.

Emma and Donovan had stepped up as leaders. The natural option, of course, since neither teen had any intention of listening to another's orders. Perhaps this was what sent Marley overboard. Perhaps she was still nurturing that free spirit inside, desperately searching for the way to fulfill its demands.

As Mai led the defenses in the City, Yasmin was her parallel at Peregrin. Whenever there was a new arrival, they were subject to at least two full days of training, preparing them so that they could defend their camp should trouble arise.