Chapter 20: Patching Things Up

Jasper stumbled around, punching wildly in all directions the instant she reformed. Realizing she wasn’t hitting anything, she shuffled around nervously, looking for the xenotime.

“Down here,” you called in a weak voice. She looked down and froze in horror, her hands held over her mouth as she stifled a gasp.

“(Y/N)!” she exclaimed, her voice cracking so that it came out as almost a scream. She instinctively went to kneel beside you, but righted herself when she remembered the danger. “Where is she?”

“All taken care of,” you replied with a smile, patting your pocket. “Which reminds, me. You’d better… y’know.” You pulled the gem out. Jasper knelt, took it gently from your pale, shaking hand and bubbled it.

“(Y/N)... why? Why did you do this? Where’s Pinky?”

“He’s just in the car. I did… what I had to do. I love you too much. This was the only way.”

“But… but now you… we’ll get you through this. I’ll find someone to fix you!”

You raised your head to look down at yourself, and felt a wave of nausea at what you saw.

“I think we’re past that,” you chuckled.

“It wasn’t supposed to be this way. I… I don’ t know what to do if I don’t have you.”

“I’m sorry. I never wanted to leave you. Definitely not like this. I shouldn’t even be able to talk to you right now, but I couldn’t go without saying goodbye.”

“Stop talking like that. You’re going to be fine.”

“Supposing I’m not… I’ve definitely had better days, yep, had better days… I want you to promise me you’ll do whatever it takes for you to be happy. I want you to find someone who can show you all the love I never got the chance to. I’m not scared, you know. It’s just that I’m going to miss you… so, so much.”

“(Y/N), I…” she started to protest. She paused, then looked down at you with tear-filled eyes, cradling your head. “Okay. I promise.” She shut her eyes against more tears and shook her head. “But I want that someone to be you!”

“I want that too.” The most you could manage was a whisper. Everything started to grow dark. “I… can’t see.” Jasper clasped your hand in one of hers, continuing to hold your head with the other. “Thank you. Jasper… there’s something you need to know. Something Steven told me.”

“Shut up. You don’t get to make any deathbed confessions. Because you’re not dying.”

“Jasper? Are you still there?”

“I’m here.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I can’t feel you anymore.”

“I’m still holding your hand. Just hang in there.”

“The other xenotime!” you remembered suddenly.

“(Y/N)... I can’t do it. I’m not strong enough. I don’t know how you did it… I wish I could do it for you… but I can’t. Not alone. There’s only one kind of power I know that can beat her. I’m going to get help. We’ll defeat her and we’ll save you.” She set your head gently back on the ground, holding your hand lightly in both of hers. “I’ll come back for you. I promise.” You felt her touch disappear as she took her hands away. Your arm fell limply to the ground. All earthly sensation was fading fast.

“Do I at least get a kiss goodbye?”

“No. No goodbye. Just ‘see you later.’” She bent down and kissed you. It turned out you still had some feeling in your broken body after all.