{4}

Please read the note at the end of the chapter, after you finish this chapter.

No, it didn't really. Not in the way Nagisa expected it, at least. The air buzzed, hummed with tension. His hands were shaking, and Nagisa swore he could here singing somewhere in the abandoned building.

As if sensing his boyfriend's unease, Karma squeezed the bluenette's hand, as if to say 'It will be okay'. Of course it would be fine, Nagisa reassured himself. They were trained assassins. As the couple reached room 3-E, Nagisa was positive he heard singing. A glance at Karma told him the ginger heard it too, and that Nagisa wasn't going crazy. Yet.

Slowly, they opened the door together, ready to take down whatever stood past it. Instead what they saw was Kaede Kayano, her green hair having grown out to the point where several inches of her roots were her plain, natural black. She turned and smiled at them, silently waving them over. As if to invite them to join her mute vigil in the crumbling classroom. So they did.

It was only at the final few moments of their stay that Nagisa realized the air was buzzing and felt alive, like someone had sent a shock of electricity through the room. A sharp glint, like gunmetal steel caught his eye and he turned towards the window. He opened his mouth to shout out a warning as he heard what sounded like a muffled, far away gunshot. The world went dark before the first word pushed past his lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One week later: an excerpt from the local news paper

"Three high-school students, later identified as Shiota Nagisa, Akabane Karma, and Yukimura Akari, where found dead inside an abandoned school building on March 16th, 20XX. The three teenagers all seem to have died from a bullet wound to the head. This is all the police is willing to say at this moment..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:  Well guys, this is the end. I'm sorry I had to end it like this but I had no motivation to continue or finish the story, and I got the distinct feeling this is where it was headed all along. To every reader, voter, and commenter: It was a wild ride and you all had crazy amounts of patience for me. With love to all, Princess