Twenty Two: Smoke and Quartz

We attended the ceremony as a group of three. Eberon in his Spring court attire, Schula and I in our Autumn things. I was saving my new outfit for the picnic tomorrow, partly because the king would probably like to see it, partly because Caldon would be there. I hadn't taken off my necklace since I first laid eyes on it.

"Stars, there are so many fae here," Schula said, a somber expression creased her face.

"I would expect no less." Eberon shuffled down the hall in front of us, ensuring we weren't getting lost in the maze.

"You were getting a gift from the king this afternoon, right?" I asked Schula.

"Right." She nodded.

"What did you end up getting?" I prodded.

"You'll see. It's very...Baeleon. He will be pleased." She pushed me forward. "Let's try to get a seat high on the steps, shall we?"

"Here, this will work." Eberon pulled us though the doorway and into the setting light. The top platform that jutted out into the staircase like a balcony was roped off. On a slab lay a gorgeous male. He had been tall, silver hair, dark skin, and it must have been Galavan. He was surrounded by flowers, the entire alter was spilling over with them. His abdomen was covered in roses.

"A belly wound?" Schula whispered, then turned to me. "We don't usually conceal any of the body."

"What could have done that?" I asked.

"Not much." Eberon grimaced. "This is a discussion for our rooms, let's just watch the ceremony."

All kinds of people crowded the stairs to watch. The king himself was on the other side of the body from us, surrounded by guards and mourning fae. As the sun kissed the city walls in the distance, a female approached Galavan's body. She was as beautiful as he had been, tall and dark with silver hair. A sister perhaps or offspring. She carried a plain, unadorned staff, and when she tapped it on the steps a silence fell over all of Dwellonmar.

"My cousin will be missed." She said addressing the crowd. She stared across it for a long while, then stepped to the body and stroked his cheek with her free hand. The intimate motion of love, if not a lover.

"Galavan, we went on many hunts together. I wish we had many more. But the Stars put you here as they see fit, and they take us away just as quickly. You were a strong leader. You are loved. You are missed. Goodbye, Galavan."

She stood back from the body and produced two obsidian rings. She looked to the king's side and nodded two fae forward. Lean, muscled males. Warriors.

They stepped forward, somber, and the female placed the rings on their thumbs. She bowed her head to them, and whispered something. Then, she retreated to the crowd and sat down.

"That was it?" I whispered. Schula nodded, not letting her eyes drift from the body.

The two males spoke, just as quickly as the female. After them the king said a few words, and much of his court. All of them said words of goodbye to Galavan, not for each other. Once the king and court were done, they retreated inside, and a line formed quickly, to say their own goodbyes. There was still grey light in the sky and a few candles had been lit around Galavan for the mourners, but that was it. It couldn't have taken more than a few minutes.

"Come on, let's get inside." Eberon said.

"Don't we need to say words too?" I asked as he helped me stand.