Fifty Two: An Adventure Ahead

Thain directed Eberon to take us to Mila's cabin and cover our trail, all while I was passed out. I actually woke up in Mila's bed, next to Schula. Puko sat perched on the bedpost at our feet.

The cabin was too small for everyone to fit in, but Eberon had organized everyone beautifully. A triquetram of two was sent back to Thanantholl to give a preliminary report to King Baeleon. The rest had been set as lookouts and hunters for the duration of our recovery, or at least until Schula, Thain and I could move on our own.

Nassir sat quietly in the corner, observing his surroundings.

Early reconnaissance reports of Icehold were bleak. We had managed to avoid damage to the residential areas, and thanks to the Solstice masquerade most of the population of the city was on the other side of Icehold from the destruction.

We did however decimate the wings of barracks, armories, training rooms and equipment workshops.

After a few days, with the help of magic and rest, I was the last to recover and fully be able to move around again. Schula said it was probably because I was only half a creature of the Wyldes, as witches are practically human mortal and I wouldn't have any kind of advanced healing from my mother's side.

It was a cold, snowy day in the mountains when Schula invited me out for a walk alone.

She let me lead us somewhere, and I took us to the hilltop where my mother left the stone for me. I was able to collect it again when I woke up, as I had left it and other important items at Mila's cabin before I went to rescue Schula.

I played with it in my fingers for a while. Schula and Thain had tried to see it's images, but it didn't work for anyone but me and Nassir.

Schula had been mostly quiet since our retreat to Mila's cabin. Today she played with a strand of hair that had come loose from her long white braid.

"Is everything alright?" I asked softly.

She shook her head. "It's not alright. It may never be alright again."

I nodded, giving her another moment of silence before I tried again. "Did you want to come out here for company, or do you have something you'd like to talk about? It seems you've had something on your mind since yesterday."

Schula sighed and turned her icy blue eyes my way. "I'm DuVarick's heir. But, I don't want to be. And even if he somehow came to accept it, I could never forgive him. I know he's not right. I... I know it's his mind that is foul but I can't forgive him."

I bristled at that. "I wouldn't want you to."

She nodded sadly, a melancholy smile on her lips. "I know what we did will have repercussions."

"Yes," I agreed. "But it's high time the other kings realized what is going on in the Winter lands. DuVarick isn't right, and he's not kind to his people."

Schula gave a dark laugh. "Don't let the other royals fool you. The fae aren't a peaceful people, we put on a pretty show, but that's where it ends. Though, DuVarick is definitely the worst of them."

Puko fluttered overhead, landing heavily on my shoulder and I stroked his head absentmindedly.

"I don't want to go back to Thanantholl," Schula whispered.

Ah. That was what was bothering her.

"I don't either."

She looked at me, startled at first. "You've made friends there."

"I know what they call me behind my back," I sighed. "The elf witch. That's all I'm going to be to them, and I'd prefer not to waltz up to Baeleon if he's going to react the way DuVarick did. I don't belong in the Wyldes, not anymore."