XXIII. REAL LIFE

Emerson stood beside the bathroom door nervously, ignoring the phone as it buzzed insistently in her pocket. Taking a deep breath, she walked out.

Matt and Dan were still curled around each other in her bed and Allison was nowhere to be found. But immediately Emerson's eyes zeroed in on Renee, who was sat up in her bed.

Despite the nervousness knawing at her stomach, Emerson took a moment to acknowledge how cute the other girl looked. Her short hair was messy and puffed up around her face and her eyes were blinking slowly in an attempt to become more awake.

As soon as she spied the redhead by the bathroom door, though, she became more awake.

"Please don't leave." Renee's voice sounded so close to begging and it broke Emerson's heart a little.

"I won't," she said quietly.

Relief washed over Renee's face. "Thank you," she said, her voice containing its usual softness. "We don't have to ever talk about it. We can pretend it never happened."

Before she could think Emerson blurted out, "No."

"What?" Renee asked, looking up and meeting Emerson's eyes.

The eye contact gave Emerson that little bit of confidence she needed. "No, I don't want to pretend it never happened," she said, taking a step forward. "I'm going to say a lot now so just please let me finish."

Renee nodded, looking slightly dazed. "I think I love you," Emerson said. Renee's eyes widened. "I've liked you for over a year, but you were hooking up with Allison and then even when that ended you said you were still in love with her so I just kinda gave up. But then the night of the game I realised that I don't just like you; I love you."

Emerson took a deep breath in. The other girl stayed silent for a while, and with every second Emerson's heart sunk deeper.

Then, finally: "I love you, too." It was so quiet Emerson thought she was imagining it until she saw the vulnerability and fondness on Renee's face. "I stopped loving Allison in that way a long time ago."

They both stayed like that, unsure of what to do. Emerson had never been in a relationship before — it had always been Saffron who fell in love easily and would act on her feelings.

"Can I..." Renee trailed off as she stood up slowly. "Can I kiss you?"

Not trusting her voice, Emerson nodded.

Renee walked across the room and gently pressed their lips together, her hand lifting to cup Emerson's cheek as if it were made of glass. Then she drew back, keeping her hand in place.

For a moment Emerson just looked at her in wonder. Then she leaned forward and pressed their lips together a bit more insistently, her hands reaching forward to carefully hold onto Renee's waist.

This time, they both drew back. Emerson smiled and Renee smiled back.

* * *

Finally, amiright