Gone

Tarq:

Uriah came into my class the next day, but he didn't have any of his art supplies on him, and he entered when my class was dismissed.

People brush past him, probably already forgetting that he was in this class in the first place.

I stack some papers before shoving them in my bag, and Uriah waits patiently for me, his long fingers playing with the frayed parts on his jeans and sweater.

"Uriah." I mutter as I zip up my bag.

Uriah nervously glances at me. His fingers tightening on a piece of yarn from his sweater.
"Tarq--I mean...Mr. Fall..." he says quietly.

"What can I help you with? You never come to this class." I say watching him carefully.

Uriah swallows. "I wanted to talk about yesterday."

I notice a stray piece of clay on my desk. "What about yesterday?" I say almost bored, and I flick the piece of clay off.

"You...you left..."

"I did." I say looking back up at him.
I regret it the moment I do it.
His eyes are big and green, red around the edges, almost like he hasn't gotten enough sleep or has been crying.

My heart twists a bit.

"Why?" He asks softly.

"Have you never heard of a one-night-stand? I was just curious. That's all. I wanted to know why you drew men. Now I know."

Lie.

"It didn't feel like a one-night-stand." Uriah whispers. He tugs on his sweater sleeve again.

"We just met." I argue, but my voice is turning thin.

"Do you believe something like this could turn into a relationship?" Uriah says weakly.

I watch his big green eyes.
Say no...
I bite my bottom lip.
"Hard to tell..."

----------------

Uriah:

Tarq...err...Mr. Fall...no, Tarq has come over every day after his class.
I've never gone back to his classroom after that small talk...but Tarq comes to my apartment.
We fool around.
I don't want to fool around.
Months have passed and we keep playing.
I don't stop whatever this is between us, and he doesn't either.
I don't want to lose him.
Maybe it's because he's the first I've ever been with, maybe because he's Tarq Fall...maybe because I feel like I'm enough when he holds me and whispers soft nothings into my ear.

I've fallen in love with him.

He gasps against me, catching his breath and turning over on my mattress. I pant softly against my pillow, my hair damp and darkened.
A comfortable silence seeps between us, just like everyday, and I try not to imagine waking up with him gone.
Like always.

His arms carefully wrap around me, and his lips press against the back of my head softly. I shiver against him and he pulls me closer.
I bite my lip.

"Tarq." I whisper, afraid to ruin the mood.

"Yes, Uriah?" He asks back softy. His lips move against my hair, and I know that his eyes are closed, and I savor every moment he holds me like this. Where I can create this small fantasy where he actually loves me back. Where he wants to be with me.
Right here. Right now.

"Could you ever love me?" I whisper.

Tarq stiffens against me, but his lips brush against my hair again.