Chapter 13

---Benji's POV---

My instincts were flaring on a high alert as I noticed a pattern in Anders and Vane's constant disappearing act, acting like nothing was going on. Elijah might've been docile enough to sit back and let his mate do everything, but I was starting to get antsy.

I just knew that my mate was trying to get a hold of Vaughan but the snake proved to be too slippery and snuck out of his reach whenever he seemed to gain on the man.

And when I had suggested they'd use me as bait, I was sure he'd blow up the island before letting Vaughan anywhere near me.

A sigh escaped me as I thumbed at the book page, eyes lazily scanning the contents and already forgetting what I just read. It was hard to focus when I knew that Vane and Anders were just a room away, conversing and plotting to try and get their hands on Vaughan

What I found more curious was to why they didn't reach for the main source of evil? Why not go after the pack?

The more I thought of it, the more sense it made. All the inmates here were sent here by the pack, hell, most of these people weren't even true inmates, simply people who had stood up against the pack or who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I paused halfway into turning the page, eyes blinking before I looked up. If none of the people on this island were here because they were convicted for a crime...

...Then why was Vaughan here? The only thing I had managed to pry out of my mate was that Vaughan came here a long time ago and had tried several times to manipulate my mate in some shape or form.

The question is, why? What did Anders have that Vaughan needed?

A way off this island.

I nodded to myself before frowning. It wasn't that easy though, the trackers in our body would go off the second we got off of the island, alerting the pack of our attempted escape and they'd track us down and kill us.

Hell, several of the shifters on this island were Eagle shifters, there was even a Great white shifter, but none of them could go past the borders. It didn't matter if they'd come back to the island; the second they breached the border and came back to the island, the pack would depart to their loved ones and slaughter every single one of them.

I closed the book with a thud, placing it back with the others as I felt my heart pinch with sorrow. Dana. I was never gonna see my little sister again. If I moved one toe out of line, that vile pack would go after my sister.

I blinked.

Slowly, an idea started to grow in my head, morphing and growing as I thought more and more about it. My feet moved on their own, rushing to get to my mate as excitement started to bubble up in me.

Anders and Vale snapped their heads up as I shoved the door open before blushing at my dramatic entrance. Vale snorted and Anders raised an eyebrow silently questioning what I was up to.

"I have an idea that could work."

They shared a look before Anders patted his thigh. I didn't doubt for a second and cuddled up to him, a low purr rumbling through my chest as his fingers combed through my hair. "Everyone here has been wronged by the pack, and you've told me that since the beginning , Vaughan has been trying to cozy up to you, right?"

My mate nodded while Vane eyed me curiously. "But what has that to do with the whole situation?" He grumbled, eyes flickering to the doorway with longing, as if expecting Elijah to walk in as well.

"It means, " I started looking up at my mate to make sure I got my point across, "That we all have a common enemy. Whatever he did, Vaughan has crossed the pack and it ended him here with us. Yet, he's desperately trying to get back and I can only come up with one reason for that."