Chapter 20

It was the first time I’d ever been on a public bus, and I liked it. I sat at the back of two rows of double blue seats with orange circles on the fabric. I enjoyed saying goodbye to the countryside, and once we entered the city I shuffled my bum to the edge of my seat and leaned against the window.

We drove past modern buildings made from red bricks, we got stuck in traffic where people shouted and beeped their horns. Through the city centre masses of people, like herds of animals, stomped through the streets. I liked the noise the bus made when it come to a stop, it sounded like it hissed and blew out a breath, before people unloaded themselves and new people stepped on. We left the city centre and started on quieter streets. Rows of terraced houses with gardens.

When the little bell rang out and I saw North Heights on the sign, I grabbed my backpack from the seat next to me and proceeded down the aisle. I felt a little nervous. I smiled at the mix of faces who watched my pass, but not all of them smiled back. When the bus come to a halt it knocked me forward, and I grabbed onto one of the metal rails to keep my balance.

“Thank you,” I said to the driver. He gave me a nod, smiled under his frizzy white moustache, and I stepped off.

My fingers gripped the strap of my backpack as I looked all around me. I was stood on a housing estate. I had literally no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I imagined my mum and dad, especially dad, the state he’d be in knowing I’d snuck out. But I did leave a note explaining that I was OK and that I’d be back soon. I could have politely asked, but I knew the answer would definitely be a no. Or I’d have a chaperone to hold my hand.

I walked along a cobbled street, a row of little horses to my right, and a small green to my left. I pulled the little piece of paper from Tommy’s hoody pocket and read the words I’d written from the article i read on the world wide web, or whatever it was called.

“Excuse me, sorry,’ I said in a tiny voice. A woman who was wrapped up in a tartan hat and scarf stopped beside me. “I’m looking for Blakelaw.”

“That’s across the way. If you head back up the street and keep walking straight,’ the woman said. She moved her arms around in front of her, acting out the words. “You’ll come to a little roundabout. Blakelaw is the white houses, you can’t miss it.”

“Thank you so much.”

She gave me a nod and a smile, then made to walk away.

“Oh, one more thing. Do you by any chance know Tommy Hart?”

Her eyes widened and then she frowned.

“Everyone knows Tommy Hart.” She said it in a way that could have been a joke, but also, a warning. “You’re heading to the right place. The house with the plants outside and the swing. His nanna lives there. Green roof.”

“Thank you!” I gave her a massive smile and held my hands together. “Have a nice day.”

“Good luck,” she said, a smirk on her lips.

I didn’t know what that meant, so I brushed it off. In my bright pink trainers I walked, and I walked and walked and walked, I walked over a little bridge, then I found the roundabout. When I seen the row of painted white houses my heart did a little flutter. It was located off the side of a main road, where I had to press the button and wait for the little green man to appear to let me know it was safe to cross.

The house with the green roof sat smack bang in the middle of the long street. Nobody was around, despite the number of houses on both sides. I got to the black metal gates and hesitated. My shaky hand fell onto the latch, and I stepped into the garden. There were two hanging baskets at each side of the white, double glazed door, with colourful, artificial flowers dropping down like a waterfall. To my left was a small lawn, and pots of soil. A few garden knomes stared me from beside a garden dwing seat, probably thinking I was the dumbest person on earth, and they were probably right.

It was such a stupid thing to do, coming here. Maybe I was a bit stupid. Maybe, deep down, I craved the danger.

I lifted the golden knocker and dropped it against the metal three times, and waited. My belly twisted in knots and I felt like I needed to pee suddenly. My heart dropped like an anchor when I saw a figure through the frosted glass window in the door.

-

Hey guys, what did you think of this chapter? Let me know your thoughts!

What do you think will happen next?