6

Essa slid the pack over my shoulders.

"Be careful, Bana."

"Always."

She didn't smile at my response, which told me her worry was deep. In truth, mine was too. The water in the channel frothed and foamed, splashing me even here at the top of the steps. The small vessel bouncing against the rope that held it in place looked more like a child's toy than something that would carry me beyond the boundaries of Selecon.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and gave Essa one last hug before heading for the steps.

"You're going in that?" A deep voice interrupted my passage.

I stopped, a smile sneaking over my face before I could contain it. "Saka."

He emerged from the shadows, his face stony. "Janis won't need to catch you. You'll drown before you ever reach the sea."

"I appreciate the vote of confidence."

He eyed the vessel dubiously. "Do you at least have a beacon?"

I turned over my left arm, exposing the tiny square that would be my only hope of rescue should the vessel fail as badly as he seemed to think it would. Saka nodded.

"If you make it, find the island I told you about. There's a fisherman there named Vekkio who will be able to help you."

A tingle ran down my spine. Help me in what way? It didn't matter. I couldn't ask him. Not here. I would have to ask the question of this Vekkio person.

I reached out my arm.

Saka clasped it.

I nodded toward Essa. "Keep them safe, my friend."

His lips curled. "We will keep each other safe."

I could only hope. I headed down the steps, the boat dancing and hopping on the tops of the waves. My stomach lurched just looking at it. Janis or no, I was going to have a bumpy ride.

At the edge of the tunneled canal, I stopped to look in both directions. Upstream, the tunnel was dark. Only the water and the glimpses of white foam on the waves were visible until they disappeared into shadow. Downstream, there was a small round of light in the distance. It was like a beacon of hope, yet I knew it was only the exit from this conduit into the larger one, and only the beginning of my ride. I had to hope the larger canals ran with less exuberance than this one, or else Saka was right and my vessel would be dashed like a twig.

I sucked in a breath, holding it for a moment before letting it out between pursed lips.

"Time to go."

I used the rope to pull the wooden boat close against the wall, then sat and dangled my feet. The bottom of the boat was still a good length below me. Then a wave caught it, and the bottom rushed up to meet my boots, driving my legs upward.

This was my chance.

I let go of the rope and lunged for the seat. As I did, the wave that had driven the boat upward fell away, and the nose of the boat dove after it. I was weightless. Then I was falling. The side of the boat and the frothing water rushed at me. I was going to drown before ever making it into the star-blasted thing.

There was a hard jerk, and a burning pain lit up my leg and back. Still, I was thankful for it as my descent stopped. I landed with a thud on the bottom of the boat. When I looked back at my left leg, I found the rope looped around it. Saka stood on the side of the canal, the rope firmly snugged around both wrists and forearms.

"Nice catch," I shouted to be heard over the tumultuous flow.

Saka raised one dark brow. He wouldn't be there to catch me the next time. I knew it, and so did he. If I had any doubt at all about what I was doing, I needed to turn back now. Any farther would be beyond the chance of salvation.

"Untie the boat!"

Sake nodded soberly, and unwound the rope from the tie that held it with his right hand, keeping it wrapped around his left arm to hold the boat steady. He planted his feet to keep from being pulled in, gathering the excess and looking down at me one last time.

"Don't die!" He shouted.

I wanted to laugh, but couldn't quite muster it. I gave what I hope was more a grin than a grimace.

Saka flung the rope into the boat.

I felt weightless again and before crashing against the seat. I grappled it for a purchase, finally grasping the padded wood and setting my legs around it like a bucking beast, leaving my hands free to grasp the rudder and turn the nose into the current. The wooden vessel rocketed on the waves, its small size making it so lightweight it nearly flew over the water. The sides of the canal sped past in a blur.

The circle of light expanded quickly, exposing sky and the bright light of the twin suns. The spray turned the air into a rainbow as it fell into the larger conduit ahead. My heart thudded against my ribs. How far was the drop? It had seemed of little consequence on the drawings, but the roar assaulting my ears was convincing me otherwise. The wooden vessel sped forward as if eager for it, and I dropped the rudder to grasp the sides with both hands.

The blue of the sky filled my view.

The nose of the boat dropped.

I saw a cascade of water from other conduits on either side of me before my eyes found the raging torrent below.

At least twenty spans below.

If I stayed in the craft I would be crushed on impact. If I jumped, I risked drowning in the churning brown river beneath me, its surface rolling with vicious waves, its current filled with floating detritus of every kind. There was no choice, really.

I had to jump.

Making sure my beacon was still attached, I pushed myself up and to the side as hard as I could, using my legs to kick off from the wooden boat.

I was flying.

Arms wide, the air rushed past me as the water raced up to meet me like a giant mouth ready to swallow me whole. At the last moment I crossed both arms over my chest. There was a jarring impact and the taste of metal filled my mouth.

And then there was nothing.