Chapter 1

There's this annoying buzzing noise that woke me up from my candy land dream. With a giant whack I switched my alarm off. Groaning, I got up and looked around, noticing that yes, I was still alive, and yes, that meant that I did have to go to school. It's a new year, my senior year and I wasn't looking forward to it. I got up and walked down the hall to the bathroom, where I had a quick shower before anyone else could get there. Putting my pyjamas back on and zombie walking back to my room, I got there just as people were surfacing from their own rooms. Oh, by the way, I live in a care home, thought you should know. Laying face down on my bed that had been calling me ever since I left it, I was just dozing back of.

 "Karla you cow! Give me back my shampoo!" Megan screamed, waking me up in the process, forcing me back into reality.

"No, candyland," I mumbled as a yelling match started.

I did get up eventually and put on the school uniform which consisted of black tights, black knee length shorts - they're like school trousers that come to your knees - a white shirt with the sleeves at my elbows, our blue tie, some black braces and my school shoes were black patent brogues. I left my blonde hair down today, sometimes I had it in a ponytail but I really couldn't be bothered. Taking my school stuff, I opened my yellow backpack that had a small pocket on the front with an orange ducks beak embroidered on it, and shoved it all in. After doing that, I made my way down to the kitchen for breakfast.

When I got there, there was already people waiting, ready for school. The ones my age all went to a different school then me as I was already at my high school when I arrived here so I stayed there. The younger ones will all go to the same school as the older ones though, which keeps them all together, making me feel separated.

I took my seat in the middle of the table, grabbing some toast and blocked out the noise and chatter of everyone else, I was far too tired for this shit. Once done, I left the kitchen. Waving bye to Tommy and Gina - the people who took care of the kids in the care home - I left for school and walked in the scorching American heat.

It took me a full twenty minutes to get to the school and I was feeling like absolute crap. Waiting for me at the gate was my best bud, Ross. 

"Hey girl!" He said cheerfully, hugging me. Sometimes I swear he could pass for being gay.

"Hey," I replied, less cheerful than he was. He frowned at me as we walked to the office.

"What's up?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Nothin'," I said in an attempt to get him to drop the subject. I couldn't deal with his fussing, neither did I need it right then. 

Glancing down at my timetable, my head began to ache at the words printed in black ink on the white page. "English," I sighed and we walked down the short corridor.

We were known for being in class before the bell rang and all the teachers were cool with it. We went in the classroom as the door was open and the teacher was sitting at her desk.

 "Seriously, what's wrong?" Ross asked, frowning at me again. The teacher turned to look but I didn't pay her any attention, turning to look at Ross.

"I just feel... Icky is all," I said, a half truth because I did feel icky, but not the whole truth because although I was thankful for his concern, I didn't want him to worry. 

But that backfired on me when a look of pure worry crossed his face. Here we go, I thought just as another teacher came in, walking straight up to our teacher. I felt them look at us the moment Ross began over reacting.

"Please don't do this to me! You can't do this to me! I don't know what to do! No! You're gonna have a fit and then I won't know what to do and I'll start panicking and you're gonna die because I won't know what to do and I'll be all alone and I'll get depressed," he took a deep breath before continuing, "and I'll commit suicide and then I'll die all because you had a fit and I didn't know what to do and you'll die!" He fell the the floor and crawled into a ball at my feet.

"Seriously! I'm fine you dramatic panda!" I exclaimed.

"And yet she still makes a sarcastic comment!" I heard a familiar voice say. Turning to look, I saw Miss Birmingham and Mrs Colins, my fourth and seventh grade teachers standing there. Why are they here? I thought.

"What the fuck?" I mumbled under my breath as I looked at them both smiling, an eyebrow raised as they watched us.

"Hello to you too Jo!" Miss Birmingham said with a smile. Smiling back lightly, I cringed when it caused a sharp pain in the left side of my head, but I shrugged it off.

"Why are you both here, in high school?" I asked, looking between them both for an answer.

"Well, I'm your new English Lit teacher. I'm not sure if Mrs Colins teaches you," Miss Birmingham replied, glancing over at Mrs Colins for confirmation. She nodded.

"Yes," she replied, "I'm your Maths teacher, for both of you in fact! I laughed the moment I saw your names on my register," Mrs Colins chuckled lightly.

"Okay..." I replied looking at them both uncertainly. "But why?" I asked. Both of them shrugged.

"I needed a change," Mrs Colins replied. I looked at Miss Birmingham.

"I needed a challenge!" She laughed. I nodded simply, the movement making me feel worse.

 I remembered that Miss Birmingham had left when we were going into high school, meaning our last day was her last day too. She was also supposed to be getting married, which leaves me questioning why she's still called Miss Birmingham. Ross stood up and looked at me.

"Okay, say you do have a fit, what do I do?" He asked and I groaned. Before I had the chance to answer him, everything began to spin before going black. 

Great, Just great!