~Prologue~

"Look!" A voice raised up. "Look at this!" A small gardening trowel, cheaply made, was shoved into the ground. "They've already dug this, all of this! I can't believe they dragged us all the way here on that stuffy old bus just to dig up some old, re-filled, reject pit. Like we wouldn't know. It's PATHETIC!" 

Ben nodded. This was a waste. The bus ride had been awful. Slow, hot and uneventful. It should have been worth it, but the archaeological dig seemed to be just as slow, hot and boring. Still, a day out of the classroom was a welcome break and any trouble would scamper any chance of another day trip. Especially from Sally-Sue. Her expression was bitter and it was clear she'd taken insult at their lack of trust in them. Even if he kind of understood why no one wanted a bunch of children clambering around, ruining a once in a life time find,  if there even was one. When the small rock went flying between his feet, he knew it was only a matter of time if things didn't change.

The sour mood was nothing knew, but the day could still be saved. Maybe. He watched her stand, arms swinging by her sides.

"I bet they placed things for us to find! Just so they can take photos and put it in the news paper. All the cools stuff is gone! Like our dignity for coming here..."

He agreed again, this was definitely a set up for some free publicity, his father had said so the moment the letters had gone home from school. A few others from the class had been listening too, and grumbled in agreement. Alright, maybe the day couldn't be saved. Still...  

"Well," Ben said, "it was still nice of them to invite us. I heard we're the only people that's been invited since they discovered this place. Who else can say they got to help re-discover a castle? Why not just enjoy what we can? Eh?"

Ben flicked some of the curls out of his eyes. Sally-Sue looked over his shoulder and like always, it was clear it had gone in one ear and out the other. All of a sudden, the smile he loved and dreaded perched at her lips, this was it, she was up to something. 

Suddenly, Sally spun, eyeing the teachers and the fat bolding man that had brought them over here. The man talked so eagerly while Mrs. Birch nodded, clearly not as interested as he thought she was. Mr. Smith looked down at his shoes, long checked out of the conversation by the looks of it.

Turning back, she frowned. Her fists tightening with some kind of determination. "Well I won't re-dig someone else's reject pit, Ben!" 

He jumped. She was about to ask him to do something, and it would most definitely get him into trouble, and he definitely wouldn't want to do it. Even though he knew he would wind up doing it, anyway. Like he always did. 

"What? Don't think I'm going to help you again!" He tucked his hands into his pockets. "I'm not getting myself in trouble for you! Not this time, Sally. If that's what your thinking, then no."

There was a pause, a golden moment of silence before he knew he'd cave for her demands. 

"Ben. Please... for me?" And there it was. His resolve melted and he was onboard for anything she'd ask him to do. She could have asked him to rob a bank, and despite his better judgement, Ben knew he would end up robbing the world just to make sure she was happy. Puppy love, his dad called it. The thought made him blush. He didn't love her! They were just friends. Still in school. He had better things to do than get feelings for a girl! Let alone his best friend.

Ben turned and shrugged, "Oh, alright. Whatever. I don't care what happens anyway". His usual line. Sally smiled, she knew she could count on him. Even though he tried to seem uninterested, the smile that lit up her face made Ben smile too. Everyone knew Sally-Sue had a contagious smile. It was the only thing that got her out of trouble half the time.