Belinda: Chapter 10

Damien got me settled in the guest bedroom next to his. He refused to kiss me, but gave me a big hug and whispered, "I love you," in my ear before taking his leave. I needed less sleep than mortals, but tonight I craved sleep, perhaps as an escape from the reality we were facing.

I slipped out of my jeans and kept my cotton shirt, bra and panties on. As I snuck between the cool white sheets of the big Victorian bed I thought some more about the elixir of life and my origins. Michael and I had never broached the subject of my origins—when I had become an immortal. To the contrary, he had encouraged me to focus my attention on the life I did remember after I met him.

I had followed his counsel all these centuries, finding peace of mind by focusing less on my angst about my past and paying more attention to others' suffering. But in the last few months since I had let Damien into my life romantically, it had become increasingly important for me to know who I had been before Michael found me and what was lurking behind that wall which separated the life I remembered from the life that had perished from my memory.

I knew from my dreams that there had been some trauma—something bad had happened to me. But I had to face it. Loving Damien was putting everything at risk. If I chose a life with him I would have to be in complete possession of myself. Michael was right. I had to know my own heart before I could give it to anyone else. But even more than this, I had to have all of my life back so that I could find the courage and conviction to stand up against the Group, which forbade immortals from having intimate relationships with humans. The Group believed that the more our emotional lives were entwined with those of humans, the greater the risk of indiscretions and revelations that could strike fear in the heart of humanity. Our powers were too threatening to humans. We could not risk revealing ourselves to them before they discovered their own power to heal themselves of their own fear and greed.

It occurred to me that Michael's reason for giving me the elixir was to protect me from who I had become. I suspected that he thought I had lost my way and that somehow in returning to my past, I would discover a deeper bond to my kind and to my immortal life as a healer that would, in the end, supersede my need and my love for Damien. I would give Damien up, avoid any conflict with the Group and therefore stay safe.

I couldn't imagine not loving Damien in every way imaginable. It was the fullness of my love for him that was giving me the strength to face my past. Nothing at any other time had compelled me to look deeper into myself.

And then I heard it—an unusual noise. To the human ear, it would have sounded like a gust of wind entering the house. But I knew better. I also felt it. It was too cool and at the same time too heavy for a summer breeze. It was also vibrating, taking shape and moving with purpose through each room. The image of the dark suede cape entered my mind and I gasped. I jumped off the bed and ran to the door. I had to protect Mrs. Garant and Damien.

I had more strength and stamina than any mortal and could easily defend anyone under my protection from a human attack. But this was definitely not a mortal intruder and my ability to protect the Garants would depend upon whether this dark presence was a young or Old Immortal. An Old Immortal would have much more power and be a formidable foe.

I opened the door to my room and immediately felt the cold air in the hallway. I slipped over to Damien's room and opened his door without a sound. Damien was sleeping on his back, with his earphones in. He looked peaceful. As I turned to leave, I heard a rustling behind me. I turned and noticed that Damien was awake. He had propped himself up on his two elbows.

"Nice outfit," he said.

He looked very pale, and although I was only a few feet from him, I was sure he was sweating.