Twelve

Will and Ella had been informed that there was to be an inquiry into what happened.  Ella knew there wasn't much to tell but the officials at White Star Line wanted to know exactly what happened.

It had been three weeks since the Titanic had sank. Ella had been feeling unwell lately. She hoped she didn't have an illness as she wanted to be at the inquiry.

When Ella woke up, she realised she was in the Hotel her father had paid for. Will wasn't anywhere to be seen. Ella sat up and felt sick.

She ran for the bathroom and threw up. She was worrying. She couldn't tell Will what she truly thought was wrong with her.

The door knocked. Ella thought it was Will so she promptly got dressed into her officer's uniform and opened the door.

"Oh, Hello Lights," Ella said. She wasn't expecting to see him. He smiled.

"Will is having a word with the officials about... Henry and what you had to witness," Charles explained. Ella nodded.

She brought Charles inside as she finished doing up her hair for it. "You don't look so well," Charles commented. Ella swallowed hard. Charles had become an amazing friend to her. She knew she could trust him.

"I-I'm not really well."

Charles smiled and nodded. "It's obvious."

Ella sighed. "I don't know what's wrong with me to be honest. I've been like this since a couple of days after what happened," she admitted.

Charles frowned. "Why don't you see a doctor? Will would only worry," he said.

Ella had to agree with Charles. She knew how much Will would worry. "I'll go and see a doctor as soon as I can," she told him.

"Good. It might just be the stress of what happened," Charles said.

Ella nodded and applied her lipstick. "Let's go."

They went to the inquiry. Will was waiting for them. He smiled at Ella and kissed her. "You okay?" He asked. Ella nodded.

"Yeah. Why were you talking to them about Henry?"

Will sighed knowing that Charles would have told her.
"I know how much it still upsets you and you just needed some time to-"

"No Will. They need to be told. I-I need to explain how I caused Henry's death. I could have stopped him."

Will held her. "It wasn't your fault. Please stop blaming yourself."

Ella sighed. She felt so bad for what happened. She didn't want to think about Henry ending his own life because of her stupidity in not leaving.

The three of them went for some lunch. Ella didn't feel like eating much. Will noticed this. "Are you okay?" He asked.

Ella smiled and nodded. "I'm just feeling a little unwell. I'll be oky though," Ella said.

***
When they'd eaten their food, Ella went with Will. "My father wants to meet you. He's in New York for the inquiry," Ella told him.

Will smiled. "Of course. Lights and I were going for dinner tonight. It was meant to be a surprise for you. Invite him along too."
Ella smiled and nodded. She kissed Will's cheek.

They walked around for a bit before walking towards the inquiry. Ella was shaking.

Will kissed her before they went in.
"We'll be okay," he said.

Ella nodded and smiled. She kissed him passionately. Will kissed back. "I promise you, everything is going to be fine."

***
First to speak was Ella. She was anxious and tried to not let it show. Senator Smith was sitting quite patiently. It made Ella feel nervous.

Ella looked around to see Will sitting in the stands waiting for her. Charles gave her a reassuring smile.

"M-My name is Ella... I... I was the assistant to First Officer William Murdoch," Ella said. The senator gave her a nod to tell her to continue.

Ella took a deep breath and explained about the boat being sped up. "There weren't enough lifeboats when it hit. We couldn't save everyone. There was a ship close by. It didn't stop."

The senator sat up when he heard this. "And what ship was this?" He asked.

"I-It... It was the Californian," Ella replied. He wrote it down immediately.

Ella was shaking.

Eventually, she was dismissed. Ella went to sit down. Will took her hand. Ella was shaking still. "It will be alright Ella. I promise," he said.

"Really?"

Will nodded. "Have I ever lied to you before?" He asked.

Ella shook her head.

Soon it was Charles' turn to speak. He walked to the podium. Ella saw the confident look on his face.
"Officer Lightoller, please give us detail of the events that took place among your officers as the ship was sinking," he said. Charles nodded.

Ella gripped Will's hand tightly as he began to talk.
"My Chief Officer, Henry Tingle Wilde, accidentally shot Assistant Officer, Ella Hanson in the arm-"

"Accidentally Sir?"

Charles nodded and didn't look at Ella.
"Yes Sir. He was shooting in the air to try to keep the passengers back while the boat was getting ready. He saw someone pushing forward and shot. It was Miss Hanson."

"Then why isn't he here?" the Senator said in annoyance.

"He shot himself dead after realising what he had done."

Ella tried to hide the tears. She wished so badly that Henry was still alive so she could tell him she didn't blame him.

The inquiry was given a break. Ella was trying her hardest to not break down. She couldn't handle it anymore. Will held her close. "It's alright Ella. It's going to be okay."

***
Soon enough, it was Will's turn to speak. Will made sure Ella was okay before he took the podium. "State your name and rank."

"William Murdoch. First Officer of the RMS Titanic," Will said.

"Mr Murdoch. You were on duty the night it hit. Please give me a rundown of the events that took place that night," he said.

Will sighed and began to tell. Ella couldn't handle it anymore as Will mentioned James' name. "L-Lights I need to go," Ella whimpered.

Charles gripped her hand. "Just stay strong until Will finishes," he said. Ella nodded as tears rolled down her face.

Will explained what had happened quite well. Ella had somehow managed to stay throughout it all. Charles knew Will would be proud of her.

***
Ella didn't know how to cope when she was told there would be an inquiry in England too. She barely kept it together through this one.

"That was a load of bollocks," Charles said as he took a swig of his beer.

"Aye."

Ella had stayed silent. Will wrapped an arm around her.
"It's okay Lass. We'll take you back soon and you can get ready for the dinner," Will said. Ella smiled slightly.
"Thanks Will. I love you."
"I love you too."

Ella went to use the bathroom. Charles nudged Will.
"She was about to walk out. She blames herself for James and Henry not making it Will," Charles said.

Will nodded. He took a sip of his beer. He didn't know how to make her better. He smiled at Charles. "Lights, I'm going to propose to her at dinner tonight. I promised her I would when we got to New York before the sinking happened. I have the ring with me," Will told him. Charles smiled. He was happy for his friend.

"I wish you all the best."

"Thank you."

***
Will and Ella went to meet Ella's father. Ella was anxious about him meeting Will. All Ella's father knew was that Will had saved her from death.

They walked into the restaurant. Ella sighed. "There he is."

"It will be alright. I promise."

Mark stood up and shook Will's hand.
"Officer Murdoch," he said.
Will smiled. "Call me Will."

They sat down together. Will helped Ella into the seat.
"Thank you for saving my daughter's life," Mark said.

Will smiled. "It was my pleasure."

Ella took Will's hand. Mark noticed and smiled. "Are you two together?" Mark asked.

Ella nodded. "We are father."

Mark gave his blessing for them to date. Will stood up. He got down on one knee beside Ella. "Will, stand up and sit down. Don't be silly," she said.

Will smiled and Ella realised what was happening. She was shocked. "W-Will?"

"Ella, will you marry me?"

Ella grinned widely and nodded. Will put the ring on her finger and kissed her. Ella kissed back. Ella smiled at him. "I have something to tell you."

"What's that?"

Ella took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

Will was shocked but couldn't stop smiling.
"I'm going to be a dad?" Will asked. Ella nodded and kissed him.

Will sat up again and Mark beamed at them both. "So, I'm going to have to give my daughter away and I'm becoming a grandfather all in one day?" Mark asked with a smiled.

Ella nodded. "I'm sorry if I've disappointed you-"

"Don't be silly. I could never be disappointed in you."

They ordered some dinner and Will explained about how the inquiry was going.

Ella sat and watched as Will and her father talked. All she could do was hope everything stayed good.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A/N - I've decided to make this into a series. Well, my amazing friend StrangeDesires convinced me too! The next book will be based on WW1 and how Will and Ella's relationship survives.