Chapter 2: The Plot Thickens

Nellie's POV

*narration*

My name is Nellie St. James. A junior here at William McKinley High. I've been going to this school for three years now and do I have any friends? Nope.

They all think I'm weird and a total outcast. I don't really get along with anyone I'm paired up with so my past project partners probably spread the word and that is why I am still friendless to this very day.

But I don't really mind not having any friends. God knows what might happen if I develop friendships with people. Drugs, teenage pregnancy, getting influenced into things like that really worries me.

That is why when that Asian kid approached me with the intention of convincing me for the Glee club, I turned him down.

Yeah, I admit, I sort of have a love for the arts, but even if I did decide to sign up, I wouldn't show up to audition because of my stage fright.

I can't even open my mouth in front of an audience, let alone sing.

But I did have second thoughts. Maybe this was finally the turning point of my crappy high school life. Maybe this was the plot twist I have been waiting for.

So I decided to consult it with my mom after we went to church.

*end of narration*

"Mom?"

"Yes, pumpkin?"

"What do you think about performing?" I asked. "Like is it something you'd want to take a chance with?"

She chuckles. "Why? Is there a performing arts club you want to audition for?"

"I'm just curious."

She takes a deep breath. "This will probably be the only time that I'll talk about your father, and it pains me to talk to you about this."

"Why? What about him?"

"Me and your father met in the Glee club, not in WMHS, but in Glee club." She says. "We were completely different people when we joined the club. He was a jock, the biggest ladies boy in high school, and I was just an average girl who was recruited after they overheard me singing my own rendition of a famous toothpaste commercial in the library."

"The both of you were in a glee club?" I couldn't believe it.

"Well yes. We fell in love in the glee club. But his feelings eventually changed when I made a horrible mistake." She explains. "I was at the very bottom of the popularity pyramid back then and it was my dream to become a cheerleader, so I quit the Glee club."

"And did you regret your choice?"

"At first, I didn't. Because people started treating me better after I joined the cheer leading team. But your father made me regret my decision." She says. "He eventually fell in love with another girl in Glee Club. Someone who chose the Glee club over popularity, someone who wasn't selfish like me."

"And that's how I came into the picture." I say. "On the night of your high school graduation, you got him drunk and you both had sex accidentally. He married you because he didn't want me to grow up without a father. But he eventually did cheat on you for the girl he fell in love with in Glee club."

We were both silent.

"What's your point in telling me this, mom? I only asked you about your opinion on performing."

She didn't answer my question and decided to continue with her story. "I was happy as a cheerleader but they didn't really accept me for who I was. The Glee club did. And when I dropped out of college, the only people who didn't judge me were my co-members of the Glee club."