××Chapter Four××

Maria's POV

"Maria, you gotta trust me on this, I'm doing all I can to trace your mother's lineage" dad said standing by the door. He came in 'bout five minutes ago but I wouldn't talk to him and now that he had brought up the topic, I have no other option but to talk.

"But dad, this is like our second month here" he stepped closer probably to sit beside me but with the look on my face he backed away.

Is he even trying? Is he lying to me? He never goes anywhere, always at this rotting cabin and here he is, telling me that he's doing all he could to find my mother's relatives. Does he take me for a fool?

"I met your mother in the woods you know, I was staying here then, doing some work for my company. She was so beautiful, she had this tanned skin that glows in the sunlight, her ebony black hair....." he chuckled "......it was so short, tease her all the time and her brown eyes....."

"Dad!" I said louder than I planned to "I don't want to hear any of that, please" I said in a softer tone. "Hearing all of that makes me sad, it makes me want to cry, you don't know how it feels, not having a mother, it breaks you from the inside, and it hurts more when you talk about her like that" I buried my face in my palms, sobbing.

Dad rushed towards me, holding me in his arms "I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry" he kept on saying. I felt safe in his arms, he was my father afterall. And I don't want to lose him, that bond we share I know I can never have with anyone, that vibe, that kind of love that I will get from no one else.

" It's okay dad, I know you're doing your best and I'm sorry" I said wiping away my tears.

"It's alright little bunny" he said tickling me.

"Stop it" I managed to utter in between laughs. See what I'm talking about? He's like the best dad ever, who would want to lose a dad like him. How did I managed to get angry at him? Remind me, why was I even angry at him?

"I'll go prepare breakfast, okay? Just get ready and meet me down stairs" he said, already opening the door.

I nodded clutching the necklace around my neck, the only thing I have that belongs to my mother. All it took were a few words and then peace found its way into our home. It still bothers me but true strength is smiling when you want to cry, laughing to hide the pain, and going on, no matter what.

Home? Did I just call this place home? I did, so I guess I'm home.

I took a shower and wore denim jeans, a white hoodie that has on it "I Speak Fluent Sarcasm" written in black, bold letters, cool right? And finally, I wore my favourite black boots. And then headed downstairs.

The aroma of something delicious met me on the wooden stairs that won't stop squeaking. "Ummm" I inhaled deeply, I smell eggs and herbs. I already know what dad cooked. It's one of his favourite dishes.

"Egg salad with herbs and pickles" dad said as I entered the kitchen, he was setting the table.

"Sandwich it is" I said, sitting down. Dad is the best cook I know, he spent most of his life alone so it was no big deal. And as it has always been the salad tasted great.

"I'm going into town, wanna come? " Dad asked after the table was cleared.

As much as I love to I can't, I promised Damon that we'll meet today. "Sorry dad, I can't, I need to go practice"

"You practiced yesterday, didn't you?"

"I did and I was terribly bad, I need to practice more" I lied, and believe me when I tell you that I felt horrible.