Chapter 10.7

Chapter 10.7

Saviour

He sat Maria down against the right cave wall, once they were about half way in, before going around and inspecting it.

 It wasn’t a very big cave, only about 4m tall, 12m wide and 15m long.  It had a few small stalactites growing from the roof but other than that didn’t have any other notable features. It didn’t have any signs to show that it had any occupants either banishing the King’s worries of a wild animal returning there. He wasn’t in the mood to kill anything after all that he’d been through. The cave also had a bunch of bushes and hanging roots growing at the front hiding the entrance from passing enemies. All in all, it was a good shelter.

‘This should do’, King said, satisfied with the overall layout of the cave.

King walked up to the entrance, stopping a few meters in front of it. He sat down on a small rock which was at the left side of the cave, leaning against the cave wall, taking out a cigarette and lighting it as he did. It had been a long day. Too much had happened that day and now, King had the time to digest it all.

‘You really should have been more cautious’, King scolded himself as he looked out of the cave.

The sky was now pitch black, dark gray rain clouds moving across it. A flash of lighting lit up the cave allowing King to get a good look at it as well as Maria, who was still sleeping like a baby. The lighting was immediately followed by a loud crack of thunder. After which, King watched the first few raindrops fall, hitting the ground with soft splattering sounds. He breathe in deeply, taking a minute to enjoy the calm before the storm.

‘Gonna be a long night’, King said as he threw his cigarette bud to the ground, stomping out the dying embers with his boot. As he did the rain began pouring down harder and the last rays of light demised into the darkness, adding an ominous effect to his words.

*Boom*

‘Aaah!’

Maria let out a small cry of shock as she was awoken rudely from her slumber by the loud crash of thunder and the loud pitter-patter sound of a heavy down pour, disrupting the great dream she was having as well.

Maria was dreaming of being on a date with her beloved Rick, going to a theme park where they went on so many amazing rides. Amongst them the one she remembered very clearly were a cliffhanger ride, a water slide ride and the parks pool. After which, since she had become so exhausted, Rick carried Maria like a princess all the way back to her room. She was just getting to the part were Rick was undressing her when she was awoken.

‘Ohhh….And I was just getting to the good part too’, Maria mumbled disappointedly trying to recollect the wonderful dream she was having just minutes ago, her face turning red as she did.

She rubbed her tired eyes, blinking to get used to her dark surrounding. None of it seemed familiar to her. Wasn’t she in a battle for her life in the middle of the jungle just a few minutes ago? Why was she in a cave all of a sudden? Why was it raining so heavily?  And why was it so dark?

As Maria took a good look around the cave, she spotted a figure near the entrance of the cave. The figure was leaning against the cave wall opposite Maria.

Usually Maria would have gotten into a fighting stance if she had woken up in a weird surrounding with a creepy looking person near her. But this time around, she didn’t. Instead she felt the panic growing inside of her, from waking up in an unknown location, fade when she saw the person. He didn’t feel foreign to her at all.  In fact, the feelings she was getting was almost the same as those she got around…

‘Rick-Kun!’, Maria called out happily before she realized what she was doing.

The figure stiffened, momentarily, before turning his head towards her. After which he leaned back against the cliff wall.