27. Runaway Blues

"Sun gonna shine though
Some day in my back yard.."
Runaway Blues by Ma Rainey

Sometimes, my brain fails to apprehend Dylan's expressions and looks, and the look he gives Trent is one of them, before he casts his attention to the monolithic wall who's making his way to usnever offering me any of his scant attention, as if avoiding me altogether.

“Evans.” The bulky guy–Chavez–greets Dylan, before his eyes make a quick run over us, his eyes terminating their journey the moment they fall on me.

He stares at me with a vicious, dissolute gaze, his eyes openly scrutinizing every part of me. “Now I remember you.” He drawls, and all of a sudden, I feel several eyes landing on me, before I feel Trent's arm sneaking around my shoulder.

“Oh Chavez, you met my girl already?”

What?

His hand tightens around my shoulder, urging me to play along, yet I still don't get why he's doing it in the first place. Just before I pinpoint my raddled gaze at Dylan, I remember the strange look he gave Trent, and everything suddenly sinks in.

He wants me to act like I'm with Trent. But what's the reason behind it?

“Your girl?” Chavez’s quizzical gaze moves between me and Trent, his eyebrows drawing together in confusion. “You let your girl hang out with him-” he beckons with his hand to Logan, a displeased look on his face. “At midnight?”

My eyes involuntarily move to Dylan this time, failing to stay reticent, only to find him looking at me with wrathful eyes, leaving me to wonder what I've done wrong.

“We're all friends, and I trust him with my life.” Trent affirms, looking insouciant, yet I still feel how uptight he is through our contact.

Chavez lets out a dry chuckle, looking at me with a dark, revolting look. “I wouldn't trust anyone with a girl like her.” He admits, staring into my eyes for a few laborious seconds, before he trains his attention on Trent. “Feel free to call me when you get bored of her.”

“Watch your mouth, Chavez.” Trent threatens through gritted teeth, and I can't help but gawk at him, only to find him drilling frizzling holes into the massive wall standing next to Dylan. “You're talking about my girlfriend.”

Chavez holds up his two boxcar hands in surrender. “I was just joking.” He professes, tilting his head to the side. “Who would've known? Trent is finally in a serious relationship! Congratulations, man.”

Trent only nods in response, his eyes wary, before he lets go of my shoulder, only to lace his fingers with mine instead, while I sit here, utterly stupefied.

Dragging his eyes away from me and Trent, Chavez orients them on Dylan instead, whose enigmatic eyes have a thousand ward, protecting his impenetrable thoughts. “Let's get down to business.” He motions with his head to an empty table in the furthest corner.

It's almost unnoticeable, but I see how Dylan's jaw clenches, before he obliges, and follows him away.

He looked.. pressured. Almost helpless.

“What was that all about?” Hannah questions, her confused gaze moving between Trent and me.

Trent looks at her with an apologetic countenance. “I'm sorry. I really had to do that. I'll explain to you later.” He assures her, yet the bafflement never leaves her face.

“You okay?” Logan asks me, his voice weaved with concern.

I nod, before I shake my head again. “I don't understand anything.” I confess, swallowing the chunk in my throat.