Daddy Issues

"My Father?" the Mayor asked.

Contrary to Imogen's expectations - and she was absolutely certain she'd predicted his reaction right - the infamous stubbornly set jaw and lips pressed in a thin line weren't the expression that spread on the Mayor's noble face.

He had temper, she knew, when it came to two matters: his Father, social injustice in Fleckney Woulds, and people's failure to recycle. That would be three matters. And also he disliked people who didn't indicate. So, Mr. Oakby Snr was among the matters that made the Mayor lose his patience. Imogen's mind quickly did the Spanish Inquisition skit, and she shook her head trying to evict the squeaky voice of Michael Palin out of her noggin.

Instead of giving her the glare that shook the bravest and the most assured in the town, the Mayor looked at Imogen with widened, emotional eyes, and the corners of his lips lowered. Imogen felt like the worst of traitors.

"Um... I was once again suggested to have a meeting with him..." she bleated. 

The thick black eyebrows of John Oakby started going up, pitifully slanted outwards; and Imogen felt almost as sick as when she'd run over Mr. Townsend's goose with her bike when she was eight. The goose had survived. Imogen feared that her heart might not at the moment. 

"It's regarding the bypass..."

"Has my sister been bothering you again?" he asked and sighed.

"Yes, but— But it is worth looking into! It's important! And your Father's expertise—"

Imogen felt sharply irritated by her own mumbling. She'd come here to have a professional discussion with her boss. Instead, she was letting her personal relationship with the Mayor influence what was happening - and she had made the decision it wouldn't! It had been exactly the point: as his 'second in command,' she was entitled to an opinion on what was best for the town; and she deserved to be listened to! The current matter had nothing to do with how one Oakby felt about another Oakby - and how the younger Oakby was presently looking at her as if she'd just strangled his favourite canary.

"Mr. Oakby," she said in an unnecessary loud voice, "I think you need to look into the claims that your Father is making. It is my professional opinion that—"

Imogen choked on her words when a pair of long strong arms wrapped around her middle, and then a nose pressed into her sternum. Imogen was defenceless against the... snuggling! She couldn't say the two of them weren't affectionate towards each other once the acts, which were the purpose of her visits to this very bedroom, were over, and before they would return to their work responsibilities downstairs - but he had never previously done this! He sighed again, she felt the warm breath, and then there was nuzzling!

"Mr. Oakby," Imogen muttered in a small voice. He was playing unfair! "We can't have a discussion about the bypass, if—"

"Give me a moment, please," the Mayor whispered, and Imogen immediately closed her mouth with a clank of her teeth.

He wasn't manipulating her, she suddenly understood. He was genuinely upset! Somehow, as if without her will she saw her hand rise and brush at his hair at the back of his head.

"I'm not arguing your right to socialise with my Father," the Mayor muttered into Imogen's sternum. "I'm not telling you what to do. I just hate how— he manages to poison everything in my life. And I don't want him near— you." He sighed again. "No, I'm not saying it right. I don't want him near us."

"Us?" Imogen squeaked.

"Yes, us."

Imogen felt the content of her skull boil up - but she told herself to stay on track.