Four

"Honey, I know I can't tell you what to do but this is huge and so impulsive! You won't know anyone there and you'll be so far away

    "Honey, I know I can't tell you what to do but this is huge and so impulsive! You won't know anyone there and you'll be so far away. What if something happens to you? You need to think this through. We haven't even met him, for Christ's sake!"

     My mother is taking the news of me moving to Seoul better than I expected. My father, on the other hand, is quiet. Just totally silent, caught up in his thoughts. I slip my hand into my father's large, rough hand, "You're meeting him tonight. I want you to come over for dinner and get to know him. I've been so miserable these past years, constantly wondering if I'd ever get the chance to be with Yoongi. I've felt so much happier in one week than I have in so long. You don't have to understand but at least try to support me in this. I've always worked hard to make you proud, can't I just be selfish this once?" I look up into my father's face, pleading, but he is completely expressionless as if he didn't even hear me, "Dad, please, say something?" My father finally looks at me, "I want to meet him first. Grown or not, you're my little girl. You know this. It's my job as a father to protect you and now you want to move across the world? How can you expect us to be okay with this when you tell us you're moving to another country the day before you leave?! I can't expect another man to take you away and care for you when I haven't even met him." Okay. . .He's pissed. The vein in his temple is throbbing. It always does that when he is frustrated and trying to keep it cool. I nod, "I understand. . . I'm sorry I didn't tell you any sooner. I just didn't know how. Will you please come tonight? He really wants to meet you." My parents share an unspoken agreement with just one look before he slowly nods, "We'll be there. A short goodbye later, I'm back in the comfort of my car, trying to calm my racing heart. This is finally happening and I'm ready for it.

     Later in the evening, I look over at Yoongi and smile to myself. He's been chopping the same piece of onion for the last ten minutes, leaving a mushy minced pile of onion on the cutting board, brows knitted together in a mixture of concentration and worry. I pull a beer from the fridge and carefully take the knife from his hand, "Babe, I think the onion's suffered enough. Here, drink this and calm down." He comes back to reality and notices the pile, "Oh. . .Sorry. . ." Setting the knife down, I place my hands on his soft cheeks, "It's going to be fine, okay? It'll be awkward and uncomfortable at first but it'll be fine, I promise. Just focus on me, relax, and let's get through this dinner together." Yoongi answers with a small nod and takes a deep breath, leaning towards me for a soft kiss on my forehead.

     "Oh! I love this song!" I yell, running over to the TV where I have music playing continuously. Red Velvet's "Dumb Dumb" is playing on the screen. Holding a bowl of whipping cream against my stomach, whisk in hand, I dance along while whipping the cream for dessert. I hear Yoongi laughing behind me, "At least I know who not to call when we need a backup dancer." "You couldn't afford my skills, even if you begged," I retorted before quickly turning around, sticking my tongue out at him like a petulant child before turning back to the TV. A second later, I feel him against my back, his mouth against my ear, "Stick your tongue out one more time and you'll be the one begging." Chills run down my spine as he dips his finger in the whipped cream, licking it off as he walks back to the kitchen. Heat creeps up my neck to my cheeks, "Hey! What the hell kind of tease was that! You don't get to just turn me on and walk away like that!" I set the bowl of whipped cream on the counter, a little harder than I intended. Laughing, he continues sauteing the vegetables, "You want to shake your ass and stick your tongue out but you call me the tease? No shame." My jaw drops. This jerk. "Tease?! It's not my fault you're such a perv!" I yell, sticking my tongue out at him as I cross my arms like a brat. Yoongi calmly turns off the stove and moves the pan of veggies to the back burner. Slowly, he turns and walks towards me, a different kind of look in his eyes. I instinctively take a step back, my back against the counter. His eyes are dark and intense. I swallow, my mouth has gone dry as my heart starts pounding. I suddenly feel like prey but I can't look away. I lick my lips, already wanting him.