Chapter 1 ♚

Taryn

I turned over with my eyes still closed to turn off my 5am alarm. I slowly opened my eyes allowing them to adjust. I stared at the ceiling before getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom.

After taking care of my hygiene, I stood at my mirror wrapped in a towel detangling my hair. Once I was satisfied I threw it in a pineapple before heading back into my bedroom to get ready for my morning run.

I grabbed my keys and my phone before heading to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water and a breakfast bar. I looked at the bottles deciding if I wanted to take them, but decided against it.

"Just take the pills Taryn, you need them." I looked up startled at my best friend Kennedy. I shook my head before putting them back into the container and under the island.

"I'm good, one day won't hurt me K. You ready to run?" I looked at her smirking knowing after the night she had she wasn't running anywhere. "I'm surprised you're up."

"Whatever man, hangovers are no fun. We still going to mall later?" She asked walking over to the coffee maker.

"Yeah, I gotta pick up Ni before we go. I'll talk to you when I finish this run, gotta stay on schedule." Without waiting for a reply, I connected my headphones and hit shuffle on my phone. I stretched for about 5 minutes before starting down my street.

After about an hour and a half I was walking back into the house and to my room. I took another shower, throwing on some comfortable clothes before getting in my bed and dozing back off.

A few hours later I woke up to my phone ringing and my best friend blasting Bruno Mars That's What I Like. I groaned realizing it was my mother calling, the devil herself.

"Hello mother dearest, what do you want?" I said not bothering to hide my annoyance.

"Taryn, cut the attitude. I'm still your mother. I don't care how old you are, you will not disrespect me." I rolled my eyes. Here she goes again.

My mother and I have a terrible relationship. I am according to her, the mistake. I will never understand her, she choose to degrade me any chance she gets and she only tolerates me because my dad asked her to. It's honestly draining to be in this family. Between Tahiry Jackson and my sisters, I always feel the need to have bail money on me. All my life I've been trying to get my mother's love as long as I could remember and once Niah was born, I stopped trying. I can't make her love me. She hates me and I honestly don't know why. At this point in my life I honestly don't care, I have a great mother but she is definitely not it.

"Whatever, you called so what's up? How's Ni?" I'm already over this conversation, but my daughter, Niah is in the house with her.

"She's with your father, he took her to see that awful woman he calls his mother. More importantly, we're having a family dinner tomorrow and I expect for you to be present. Wear something nice." I could tell she was excited, but she would be the only one.

"Didn't we just have a family dinner? What news do you have for us now Tahiry?" I rolled my eyes walking over to my closet to grab some clothes. I pulled out a white tank and acid washed overalls with my all white Converse.

It was normal for my parents, mainly my mother to call these family dinners, it was their way of having a family meeting, just good food involved. They've been doing it since I was little. In the beginning it was fun, but over the years it became torture. It's like these family dinners are my mother's way dropping bombs on us, mainly me.

"I expect to see you Taryn Ni'ahni." With that she hung up. More than likely, I wouldn't attend because at some point it becomes about how I'm a disgrace to the family and why can't I be like my sisters. And quiet as kept, I'm doing much better than them. I threw my phone on the bed and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I completed the rest of my hygiene and got dressed.