Chapter 2

Anthony

Taryn threw a glance over her shoulder before fully turning around smiling at me. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear before glancing down at her shoes chuckling and returning her eyes to mine. "Hey Anthony." She starred for a few more seconds before it was her turn to place her order. As she placed her order I admired her from behind, and although she looked the same you could tell she grew up.

It's crazy how she still makes my heart jump being in her presence after 3 years. I met Taryn when she was 16, pregnant and living with her brother. From the story I was told, she was dating a guy and ended up pregnant. Once he finally found out he wanted nothing to do with her. It was never my intention to fall in love with her or her daughter, but I did. You can't tell me that little girl isn't mine.

Once Niah was born I was there from day 1 and loved, and still do care about her like she's mine. I signed the birth certificate, Taryn didn't even have to ask. If anybody ever asked me if she was, I claimed her. I helped raise her from the time she was born up until she was 3. When Taryn broke up with me, she cut me out of her life completely, and I was mad at first, but I realized after everything she had been through she was scared. No matter what happened between us, Niah will always be my daughter. I hadn't seen her since I left for a California a little while after we broke up, but I FaceTime her and talk to her all the time.

Once I ordered my food, I sat down at the table by Gavin and Josh. Taryn, Kennedi, and Niah were a couple of tables away from us. "So, how does it feel seeing Taryn again?" Gavin asked with this sly smirk on his face. He's not as clever as he thinks, I know the only reason we came to the mall today was because Kennedy told him they'd be here. We'd been back in Atlanta for about a week and I really didn't have a lot of free time seeing as how I'm expanding the company back to the southeastern region. I was a well-known architect in California and Atlanta would be no different. "Shit, I can't describe it. It was good to see her, but I can tell it makes her nervous being around me." I continued chowing down my food when I noticed Taryn, Niah, and Kennedy coming our way.

Once they stopped in front of us, mainly me, Taryn looked down at Niah, before pointing to me. "Ni, you know who that is don't you?" Niah nodded her head before talking low. "That's my daddy." I smiled at her before opening my arms so I could hug her. She hesitated, but eventually she walked into my arms. This is what I came home for, I needed to see my baby grow up. I missed too much already, and there is only so much virtual involvement a parent can take. I watched Taryn closely as she sat on the other side smiling.

After spending a couple of more hours at the mall, everyone was ready to head back to the respectful destinations. I carried Niah as her head rested on my shoulder. This girl shopped herself to sleep. I bought her a few things, even though Taryn said she didn't need it. We eventually made it to Taryn's car and once she unlocked the doors, I placed Niah in and buckled her up. Kennedy left with Josh and G, while I decided to ride with Taryn. I walked over to the trunk and help her put the rest of the bags in it before closing it. I walked her over to the driver's side, opening her door. "Thanks" She smiled as I closed it and walked in front to the other side.

This drive was about 45 minutes, and for the first 10 we sat in a comfortable silence listening to the music from her phone. "So, what's been going on your life T?" She glanced my way briefly before returning he eyes to the road. "School, sorority business, working, and taking care of Niah. I also have been dealing with Tahiry's hateful ass." I chuckled shaking my head. "You and ma dukes still not getting along? Let that hurt go mamas. I know she wasn't the best, but she was trying." Stopping at a red light, she looked at me like I had three heads. She started to say something, but decided against it and turned the music up. I didn't mean to make her shut down, but from what I remember her mother was disappointed about her getting pregnant and that strained their relationship. That was the version I knew, but I believe there is more to the story. Taryn has always had this wall up with people outside of her family, me included. Even when we were together there were certain topics we wouldn't talk about or if we did she talked vaguely.