Four

ELIZABETH

Sunday, August 27th 2017

His car smells like a mixture of cigarettes, and maybe

His car smells like a mixture of cigarettes, and maybe...marijuana? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it certainly isn't a bad smell. It's oddly comforting. "Are you cold—or do you want the air on?" He asks, nervously fumbling with the controls on the bottom of his dashboard.

 "Are you cold—or do you want the air on?" He asks, nervously fumbling with the controls on the bottom of his dashboard

"I'm fine." I say, feeling equally, if not more nervous. "Thanks though."

"Yeah, m'gonna keep it off." A slightly awkward silence settles over us. "So, is dinner okay?"

"Of course." His ringed, inked fingers drum against the steering wheel. "Where are we going?"

"I wasn't sure about any of the restaurants here, like, what's good or whatever? So, I made a reservation at this little joint in Worthing...if that's cool?" I begin to nod, "I know it's a bit far, but it's really good. Do you like Italian?"

"Oh, okay...but yes, I love Italian."

"Cool..." Another silence. I take my phone out and quickly text Harry.

SOS...how do I stop awkward silences?!

He doesn't respond immediately, so I shove it back in my purse. "I've never done this before..."

"What?" I ask.

"This...like, a date." He swipes his tongue across his lips. "So, yeah...dunno, I'm not sure what to say."

"Oh, well...neither have I. Last time was in high school and it was pretty uncomfortable. He didn't talk to me the whole time."

"I feel like...I want to talk to you but m'not sure what to say...and because of that, like, I feel so dumb—m'sorry, Elizabeth."

"Pull over." He looks at me, obviously confused and probably hurt.

"Can I just...no, I'll take you home." I laugh and shake my head.

"Zayn, just pull over." He does so and puts his emergency flashers on. "Come on." I step out of the car and he follows me. We both walk to the front, meeting in the middle, and I hold my hand out to him. "Hi." His smile grows and he pulls me a little bit closer.