Anemone Heart

I see that you're lonely. All of us are super close, but you seem a little distant. Yet you're the glue holding us all together. You're the one driving our successes and when you're absent we fail. But I don't blame you at all. I blame the rest of us for not being able to be independent.

I see that you're lonely. You're so busy practicing your archery and your traditional dance and your kendo that you don't have time to make lasting relationships. Sure, you have Honoka-chan and you have me, but is it really a deep friendship? The only reason you want us is because you'd be completely alone without us. I know that you don't want that.

Can't you see that I'm lonely too? Sure, I have Honoka-chan and the rest of µ's, but can't you see that I want you over the rest of them? I want you to look at me more than the rest of them.

I'm so selfish. You're the one who is doing all this work for the good of everyone else, yet I want you for myself. I just want you to look into my eyes and run your fingers through my hair and kiss me gently.

I want you to want that too. Because I selfishly, wholeheartedly, warmly love you.

"Kotori-chaaaaan, I'm so tiiiiired!" I suddenly wake from my daydreaming to feel a head burying into my stomach.

"Honoka-chan, you can't sleep now! It's only lunch time!" I utter, still a little shaken from my thinking.

"Just let me sleep this once, Kotori-chaaaan! Now that Umi-chan's not here to tell me not to! Please?"

That's right. You're not here today. I wonder why...

Did it all finally get to you? The loneliness. No. It can't be. You never let anything get in your way.

Maybe you're sick? Through all the years I've known you, you've never been sick on a school day. And if you were, you came anyway. So why not today?

After school, I pick up a flower. It's a white rose, one that hasn't become tainted with red impurities.

And I walk to your house.

"Umi-chan, I love you," I whisper, handing you the rose.

"Thanks, Kotori. I appreciate you coming over here," you reply.

"N-No! Umi-chan, I mean it. I really love you. I want to hold your hand and kiss you and...d-do things with you..." My eyes fill with tears because I'm so nervous.

"Y-You can't. I'm sick! I'm sorry, Kotori."

"That doesn't matter to me."

"Kotori, listen. I've dreamed of doing...those kind of things with you for a long time now. I love you, too. But it's illogical. I don't want you getting sick," you blush.

"I don't care what's logical. You want this, and so do I. So just kiss me, please, Umi-chan!"

I drop the white rose on the ground as I kiss you.

After a while, the white rose is the only pure thing in the room.