A Matter of Pride

Uma pov.

Today was a rare day, I had decided to close the chip shop because....well I wanted to... and my mother wasn't around to tell me otherwise. I was sitting at the rickety table in the captain's quarters of my ship that I called a desk. I had my feet up on it while I leaned back in the chair, I was contemplating  what Mal had said back on the yacht
"Don't let your pride get in the way of something you really want!"
I had been churning those words through my head for two months. What did I want? I had my crew and a ship, granted it can't sail anywhere, but it still felt like I was missing something.  I was pulled from my thoughts by the all to familiar sound of metal raping against the wooden door.

"Come in." I called, already sure of who it was.  The door opened and in walked my first mate, Harry Hook.

"Captain" he said, nodding his head as a sign of submission.

"Close the door" I ordered. He did as I told him, then hung his hat on a rusted hook on the wall next to the door before sauntering over to me.  He stood opposite me on the other side of the desk staring as if waiting for permission to do something.

"What?" I asked taking my feet off the "desk"

"You can drop the act, it's just us." He replied, walking over to my side, placing his hook on the table, pulling up a chair,  sitting on it backwards, and resting his arms across the top.

"I know" I sighed, turning to face him. "I'm just not used to it yet, you know?" I had partly embraced Mal's words by opening up to Harry about how I felt, and much to my liking he felt the same.  

"Aye love, me too" he said before reaching up and cupping my cheek in his hand. I placed my hand on his and smiled, not a wicked grin like I usually did, but a genuine smile. I looked into his eyes. They reminded me of the sea, I could get lost in them for hours. But I sensed he had a reason for coming to see me.

I let go of his hand and he put it back on top of the back of the chair. "Did you just come in here to see me or was there something you wanted to tell me?" I asked  crossing my arms and leaning back in the chair.

"Actually, yes" he replied sitting up a bit. "The're some people from bore-adon who have a message for us." 

"Really..." I drawled "I wonder what they want?" Ben had been sending groups of royal guards over to the isle to invite the children over to Auradon, My crew and I had been invited several times, but being the stubborn person I was I always declined, and my crew would never go without me. 

"Should I tell them off again?" Harry asked, I could tell that there was a part of him that wanted to go, but his loyalty to me outweighed that urge. I opened my mouth to answer, but closed it again. Mal's words rand through my head again, do I want to go there? It would make Harry happy. Wait, since when do I care what he want's? Since you fell in love with him you dope. And we wouldn't have to hide out feelings anymore.  

I took a deep breath, before choking out the word "No" I saw Harry's face light up a bit at my response. "Let's see what they have to say" I finished before running my hand through his hair, at which he practically melted. I got up and leaned closer to him planting a kiss on his forehead before walking over to the makeshift hat rack. 

I looked over at harry expecting him to have followed me, but he was still sitting there, looking at me, contentedness on his chiseled features. 

"What?" I asked for the second time in the last half hour. 

"You haven't done that before." he said standing up. I tossed him his hat before shrugging.

"It felt right" I replied. Why was I sharing my feelings so easily? Probably because Harry's so easy to talk to. I walked over to the door and placed my hand on the handle.

"You all right?" He asked me. I turned around to face him, keeping my hand on the handle.

"What's my name?" I asked, a smirk on my face. Harry smiled, placed his hat on his chest, and nelt down.

"Uma" he replied with the utmost adoration. My smerk morfed into an uncontrollable grin.

"Come on" I said patting him on the cheek "let's go." I took a breath, put my captain face on, and opened the door.

***********************

I expected to see the typical entourage of yellow clad men standing on the dock, but instead I was greated with beastie-boy and his purple haired witch of a girlfriend.

"Hook!" I yelled through gritted teath as I turned towards him. "You didn't think to tell me it was them?!"

"I would have if I knew." He countered, trying to keep calm. "Gil spotted them" I looked up at where Gil was sitting on a platform half way up the main mast. He waved at me and I just rolled my eyes. I took a breath, crossed my arms, and turned to face our guests, glaring.

"What do you want?" I asked, even though I knew what it was.

"Uma, come to Auradon." Ben said walking closer to the ship.

"And why would I do that?"

"Because that's what you want." Mal answered this time, walking up to stand next to Ben. 

"How do you know what I want?" I expected my remark to set Mal off, or at least tick her off a little. But her expression didn't change. 

"Because Ben told me about your conversation with him when you had captured him." She replied calmly, if even more calm than before. "You want to go to Auradon, you want your crew to have a chance at a better life."

I knew she was right, but something in me was telling me to do the direct oposit of what Mal wanted. If I did what she wanted me to, she would win. And I wasn't going to lose to her again.

"Why should I listen to you?" I was at the end of my rope, this conversation was going on to long, it needed to end.

"Because I know you Uma, you're not a villian, I've been there." Her words brought back the ones she said that night two months ago.

"Don't let your pride get in the way of something you really want"

That was what was tellimg me to contradict Mal. My pride was getting in the way of what I wanted. I did want my crew to have a better life, I did want to be able to be with Harry and not worry about people finding out; and a small, very small, part of me wanted to rekindle my relationship with Mal. Because even though she pranked me and called me shrimpy, she was still the best friend I had ever had, besides Harry. But Harry was different, he was more than a friend.

I looked back at him, he gave me a look that said "What ever you choose, I'll be with you" I looked back at Mal and Ben. I took a deep breath and said "We'll come."