Swords And Hearts

Jay POV

I quickly brought my sword up above my head to block my opponents swing. I braced the blade against my palm, pushing against the sword that clashed against mine. I sent a burst of energy forward, pushing my opponent off balance. I quickly struck low towards their leg but my blade struck metal. My opponent had blocked my attack, they parried my blade out of the way, sending my arm up and to the side, I almost lost my grip. I quickly kicked out, my foot met their abdomen, then I pushed, trying to lessen the pressure my opponent was creating by putting space between us. They staggered back, but kept their form well, keeping their sword pointed towards me. They quickly turned around and planted their foot onto the blue and yellow box behind them. I watched as they pushed off, spinning around and kicking out there leg, aiming for my head. I ducked, but as I straightened up I felt the plastic tip of the guard on my opponent's sword pressing into the middle of my back. I gave a sigh, dropped my blade and said

"I concede." My opponent took their blade off my back and I turned to face them, removing my mask. They did the same. I smiled as their long black locks whipped out of the face guard. To reveal the beautiful, yet dangerous, Lonnie Shang, captain if the R.O.A.R team.

"That was a good match." she said placing her mask on her hip, while holding her sword in the same hand. I bent down to pick up my sword.

"Yeah, I really liked that jump spin kick you did!" I said.

"Thanks" she replied taking a step towards me and running her free hand through her hair to get it to sit right. "I picked it up from my brother."

"Really? He could never pull that off." I said flashing her my signature smile. "You're way more agile than he is." She shook her head at my complement

"I guess I tweaked it a bit." She said walking towards me, for a moment our faces were inches apart, though she kept walking and sidestepped me continuing to the bench where our gear bags were.

I had never figured she would be the one playing hard to get. Other girls had tried to gain my attention by falling all over me, but Lonnie didn't. For the first time I was the one trying to get someone else's attention, and it was refreshing.

I quickly followed her over to the benches, I pulled my bag out from under the seat and placed it on top. As I was placing my mask into my bag I looked over at Lonnie. She was rummaging through her bag, clearly looking for something. I smiled, knowing exactly what she was looking for.

"Jay, where's my towel?" she said turning towards me. I shrugged, looking down at the blade I was handing to her.

"I don't know, maybe you left it in your dorm again." looking up at her face I could see she didn't believe me. She took the sword out of my hand, giving an exasperated sigh. She walked over to the barrel where we kept the swords and placed the ones we were using inside. We weren't allowed to take them out of the gym, except for outdoor practice, because apparently it's not a good idea to let minors carry swords around school. As her back was turned to me I pulled the towel out of my bag, I waited for her to turn around before quickly placing it behind my back, I had timed it just right so she would just see the towel disappear behind my back.

"Jay" she said, placing her hands on her hips "I know you have it."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I replied looking up at the ceiling.

"Jay" she sighed "give it to me." walking over to me and reaching behind me to grab it. I quickly pulled it up and dangled it above my head.

"Oh, is this what you're looking for?" I asked, feigning innocence. She stepped closer to me and stood on the tips of her toes, reaching upwards, but I pulled it out of reach behind my back again. She looked me directly in the eyes. We were inches apart again. Her gaze conveyed a soft annoyance yet she looked happy. We stood there for a little, smiling, I said.