A Dalek Adventure, Part 2

A/N: You might not enjoy what happens with Fitz in this section, so I'm just giving you a warning. And also, if you do get upset about it, that kind of thing happens in the EDAs to Fitz all the time. He honestly sleeps around so much. I still love him to bits, though. If you've never read the EDAs and you end up hating Fitz after this, it's totally my fault. I don't profess to be amazing at writing.

"A city! We're saved!" Fitz Kreiner exclaimed dramatically. He was just that kind of person.

The baked brick walls ahead of them certainly seemed welcoming to him. The Doctor was muttering about quantum physics or something, and Sam was avoiding him. She had done since San Francisco. He rolled his eyes just thinking about it. He probably would have gotten carried away in his thoughts of how things had changed since then, but he was distracted by one of the few things that could really distract him: a woman.

She had light-brown skin, the color of coffee with a little bit of creamer in it. She wore a dress and a head covering of some kind, and carried a large basket on her hip. Best of all, she was a fairly young woman, and attractive. Fitz suddenly worried about how he looked. Was a leather jacket cool enough? Did he have food stuck on his chin?

But she was getting close now, so it wouldn't matter much, anyway. He saw her look at the trio in confusion.

"Hello!" said Fitz, cheerfully. "My name is Fitz Kreiner, and this is Sam Jones, and the Doctor. How are you?"

The girl ignored him, going to the Doctor instead. Fitz cursed his luck. Travelling through time and space and saving civilizations was a tough job. The only upside was meeting the chicks. So why were they always more interested in the Doctor than him? He didn't blame them, the Doctor certainly was very good-looking, but come on!

"He said you are a Healer?" the girl asked the Doctor.

The Doctor smiled. "That depends very much on the day. Is something the matter?"

"Yes. It is urgent. I was told I would find a Healer outside the walls, walking with friends. I need to bring you back to the city." She glanced anxiously over her shoulder.

Fitz breathed a sigh of relief. So she wasn't interested in the Doctor! He could have skipped with joy.

"Is there something wrong?" Sam asked kindly. "You seem upset."

The girl wiped sweat from her forehead. "I am a little worried," she admitted. "I was sent to bring in a Healer and his friends. But I cannot bring in any strangers. It is against the Code."

"Look here," said Fitz indignantly, "how do you know we're strangers? We could be farmers or something!"

The girl looked pointedly at Fitz. "No one that I have ever met has had faces like the moon on a clear night. Nor have I ever met a girl with hair like the sunshine on fields of wheat, or eyes blue as the sky on a summer's day. And I certainly do not know where your clothing comes from, what dyes it used, or what a Greenpeace is. No one in all the river valley looks like you do."

"I'll take that as a compliment, then," said Fitz, but quietly.

The girl addressed the Doctor once more. "The king of Mohenjo-Daro needs your help, sir, if you are a Healer. Please, we think it is a curse sent by the gods. There has been talk of a curse for generations. Come back with me, all of you."

"Alright," said the Doctor quickly. "But why did they send you out here, not a whole troop of soldiers or something? That's the way most people seem to work things."

"You just really be strangers," the girl said. "The prophetess sent me on the mission. Only one person could do this job, and it had to be me. You see, I am betrothed to the king of Mohenjo-Daro."