chapter 7

Kate googled Malibu on her phone. She read that it has a Mediterranean climate, with a  long stretch of beach, and homes to celebrities. Wow, she wondered if she would get to see any celebrities there. But that would be a long shot. 

They arrived late that evening. A guy opened the gate for them who she later learned was the caretaker. The property is quite big. There are lots of trees that line along the fence, a beautifully landscaped garden in front of the house, and a garage that can accommodate four cars. 

Lucas parked the car in the garage and he told her to remain still as he walked around to open her door. She appreciated it but thought it wasn't necessary. 

"Welcome to Malibu, Kate." He enclosed her in his arms as he kissed her. She relaxed and leaned on the car's door as she welcomed his kisses, and thought it was sweet of him to give her a proper welcome to his Malibu home. 

They walked the path that leads to the double front door. The house was already well lit when they walked in and she found herself in a large great room. A woman is by the kitchen table preparing dinner, as she can smell the delicious aroma of whatever she was preparing. 

The woman looked up and a smile broke from her face when she saw him. She transferred her gaze to her and her curiosity is visible on her face. 

"Lucas, my boy, how was your trip?" she asked as she hugged him. "And who is this beautiful girl you're bringing with you?"

"Nana, this is Kate, and Kate this is Nana". He said as he introduced them. "Nana has been with us ever since I can remember." He further said. 

"I started working in the family as a Nanny and when all the children had grown up, I became their housekeeper. And Lucas here forced her mother to give me up, to help him keep his houses." Nana laughed. 

"You must be tired and hungry. Come to the kitchen, the food is ready." She ushered them to the table where quite a selection of food was laid on it.

***

That morning, she woke up to the sound of the birds on her window. She looked at the time and realized it was late in the morning. 

She was tired after a hearty meal last night and she was asleep the moment she laid her head on the pillow. 

She got up, combed her hair, and admired the view from her room. Her bedroom has a wall of glass on one side that offered a full view of the backyard. She can see a wide swimming pool on the other side with lounge chairs surrounding it. And on the other side is a pergola with vines climbing above it and underneath is an outdoor dining table and a set of patio furniture for sitting. 

She moved to open the glass door and stepped outside. She inhaled deeply the cold air. She was still getting used to the feeling of cold air on her skin. Back home the weather is warm throughout the year. 

She was enjoying the view when she heard laughter behind her. The great room is well designed. The back wall is made of glass. And one's eye is drawn to the view of the backyard upon entering the house. 

She moved to get a clear view of the occupants inside the living room. She observed them quietly, as they were sitting on the sofa, with their backs facing her. The girl bump her shoulder to Lucas and he responded by putting his arm on her shoulder. She felt a tug in her heart when he did that.

But she kept her emotions in check and decided to move farther and sit in one of the lounging chairs by the pool. 

She tried to analyze what she feels and realized she was jealous. She shouldn't be feeling that way, she thought. They are not a couple. 

She looked at her bracelet and felt calmer. He has the key and he kept it to himself, which meant she belonged to him. But, what if he also has the key of the other girl? 

She better walked in and let herself be known, she decided. She looked around her and noticed how everything was gray and bleak just like her emotions. Funny, just a few minutes ago, she found the place beautiful. 

"Kate,?" She glanced to find Lucas holding the door of her bedroom. He was searching for her. When his eyes landed on her, he smiled and strode towards her. 

"Hey, you got me worried, for a bit there," he said kissing her on the lips and not just pecking but tugging her lower lip with his. 

"Good morning," she replied. 

"I'll have Nana prepare our breakfast, then I'd like you to help me in deciding the fabrics, and colors for sprucing up this place. 

"You haven't eaten yet? It's late," she commented.

"I was waiting for my sleeping beauty to wake up," he said. It warmed her heart when she heard him and all the insecurities she felt earlier disappeared. 

It turned out, the interior designer was a friend in high school. She started her business a few months ago and Lucas was her first client. He promised to let her redo the decor of all of his houses which she has just learned that there was more. 

***

It was late in the afternoon, that they walked the long stretch of beach Malibu has to offer. Kate enjoyed the feel of his hand as they walked the sandy shores. He told her about his home in Greece, and when he first formed his company. His scrapes and scratches when he was a boy. 

"What is on your bucket list?" He finally asked. She doesn't know what he was talking about. There was still a language barrier between them. She was still trying to make sense of what he was talking about when he asked again. 

"It is a list of the things that you want to do. Some would put in their list the places they want to travel or the silly things they would do before they die or settle down," he explained. 

When she understood, what the bucket list was, she looked at him mischievously and said, "I guess I have made it to three of my lists". 

Then she enumerated with her fingers, "number one kiss a blue-eyed man," she said.

"Number two, walk the Malibu beach at sunset with a gorgeous guy," she counted. He laughed at what she said. He knew that she was referring to him. 

"And number three wear a Cartier bracelet at age twenty-three," she flashed the bracelet at him. He managed to kiss her wrist when she did so. 

"And number four skinny dipping in Malibu with a gorgeous guy, number five romantic dinner in Paris, number six kiss a guy in a gondola ride,"

Lucas laughed when he realized she was talking about him. "I promise you before the day will end, number four will be accomplished". He said.