chapter 14

They were at the restaurant waiting for their meal to be served when he said, "Happy Anniversary". She raised her eyebrow at him. "It will be next month," she corrected him. 

"It is exactly today, that we, you know...," he insisted. She laughed. He put his hand on the side of his face and pouted at her. What he meant to say was that it was a year ago that she had given herself to him while they were in his house in Malibu. 

"Next month is exactly the day I moved in with you. That's our anniversary," she insisted while laughing at him. She had always found it entertaining and endearing when he does this kind of thing with her. 

"We will have two anniversaries then," he said in a compromised agreement. She rolled her eyes at his business-like tone. 

"By the way, this is for you, babe," he said as he gave her a jewelry box. She wasn't surprised that he had bought a gift for this anniversary. She opened the box and was amazed at the ring nestled inside it. 

"Honey, this is very beautiful," she commented looking at the big sapphire stone. The stone is surrounded by diamonds. It matches her sapphire bracelet. 

"You like it?" he asked. 

"Yes, thank you. This is so beautiful. It's almost the same as Kate Middleton's engagement ring," she laughed at her observation. She put it in her hand and admired how the lights reflected in it. 

She was busy admiring the craftmanship that she didn't notice a group of musicians had appeared on the dais. It was only when they started playing the song "Ikaw" that she looked over her shoulder. She was surprised to hear it. It's a kind of song that you wouldn't expect to be played casually in a restaurant. And more so with American patrons. 

She looked around her wondering who among the diners had requested the song. There was only a handful of them in the restaurant. She looked at the patrons and they were looking at her.

She quickly looked at Lucas, he was observing her reaction as she looked at the musicians and the people around her. He looked apprehensive, sweats had formed on his temple, but there was a twinkle in his eyes as he gazed lovingly at her. 

Her heart started to leap from her chest when she understood what was happening. She laughed and cried when it dawned on her that this was a proposal. 

He was proposing.  The tears won't stop falling from her eyes when he kneeled in front of her, held her hand, where she had worn the ring, and asked the five words that she longed to hear. 

"Kate, I love you, will you marry me?" She put her arms around his shoulders and hugged him while she continued to cry.  

"Oh Lucas, honey, she whispered his name. Yes, I will marry you." As soon as she said yes, he pulled her up with him and joyfully announced, "She said yes!"

The joy and relief were visible in his eyes. The two of them were laughing as he pulled her close and kissed her deeply. They hadn't minded the guffaws and cheers they got from the people gathered around them. 

"I was afraid you would say no. But, I would have insisted as you already have my ring," he whispered. She laughed at his confessions. She raised her hand to admire his ring. Tenderly, she transferred her gaze to him. His sweat was still visible on his forehead, and her heart went out to him. She wiped them out and pulled him for another kiss.

When their kiss ended, she looked at the people in the room. She laughed happily as she recognized all of them. His family came. His father, mother, and Sam. Her cousins,  Michelle, her aunt, and uncle. Her friends at work. She was happy to see all of them. But wondered who invited everybody?

Michelle came forward to hug her. "Simon had invited everybody," she explained.

"My God, look at this ring! I'm so excited and happy for you, Kate." She exclaimed as she admired the ring once more. 

The waiters and waitresses got busy at once filling up the wine glasses with cocktails and wine.  It turned out that the handful of customers that were with them were the waitresses and the waiters. They were there to play all along with the surprise proposal party.

"Look at these babies," Simon said as he admired the big sapphire stone and the diamonds that surround it. 

He then instructed everyone to be seated. And informed them that dinner will soon be served. "But before anything else shall we give the newly engaged couple a round of applause," then he asked Lucas's brother Sam to lead the toast. 

Simon looked at her cousin. He couldn't believe that this girl had managed to snag one of the most eligible bachelors in town. 

He was happy for her. He knew her cousin she will be a devoted wife.