opalescent ❄︎ c.l

just before this chapter begins, i named this chapter 'opalescent' because it means that something changes in colour. in this chapter that 'something' is chris and you'll see why at the end

just a warning, this may be very sad to some people, it was definitely hard for me to write but I'm very proud of how it turned out.

enjoy xoxo

( lower cases are intended )

----

** y/n's pov **

colour is something that is forbidden in the minds of the living in this dreaded universe. having a colourful mind means that you are unworthy of people's time. having a colourful mind means that you a burden to society. someone with a colourful mind is the subject of abuse and cruelty that they do not wish upon.

even if the slightest bit of colour slips out of your beautifully wired mind then you are considered someone who people should not associate with, all because you speak of your passion and drive towards this dull universe.

his mind dances with ablaze of bold and harmonious colours that only a equally colourful human can understand.

I watch him from my desk as he scribbles a riot of drawings in the corner of his page, glancing up to make sure no one sees what his mind speaks. I shake my head at him for being so careless about the time and place he choses to let his mind run free. Although watching him draw with such pleasure helps me escape the reality of mr. somber's irrational teaching methods and topics.

( i chose to make the teachers last name somber because it means something that is dark in colour, grey or black. just thought I should give you a bit of a understanding )

the bell rings for lunch, even the bell sounds so monochrome. chris quickly shuts his book and shoves it into his bag along with his vibrant pencils and scurries out of the door.

---> skip 10 minutes

I look through the crowd of uninspired teens to find chris sitting under his favourite vivid tree with a paint brush in hand and note pad in lap

"you, my friend... have a death wish" I wipe off a dash of paint from his cheek

he pulls himself away from my delicate touch and whimpers in pain, i furrow my eyebrows as I notice how mellow his cheeks have turned

"chris, what did they do to you?"

"nothing y/n, no need to worry about it" his smile is iridescent unlike his cheeks

"just, please y/n... don't let them dull your flamboyant mind" he says gentle placing his hand on mine, usually his touch was delicate with warmth but was now stone cold

"...just keep on being you" his now muted coloured lips force their way into a smile, i watch him disappear into the crowd of drab students, and all I could wonder was what was going on in that fluorescent mind of his.

---> next day

I check my phone. 1:30pm... and I haven't seen chris all day. all I have gotten was a text from him last night saying

"be bold"

i could really use his fiery presence to help me get through the rest of the day

---> after school

I spot chris' vivid tree from a far with numerous people gazing around it. I rush over.

I look up to see a washed out rope tied tightly around his once beautifully spoken throat with vibrant red dripping down his wrists and off his delicate hands onto the neutral coloured ground.

I collapse onto my knees and scream.

how could i not see how much his colourful mind was in pain?

how could someone so dull convince someone who so picturesque to feel so unwelcome and unwanted in this bleached world?

if only his beautiful mind knew how beautifully he light up my rustic life.

I touched the skin that once vibrated with warmth...

his once chromatic flushed face was now just like anyone else's...

he had been swallowed into the minds of those you had no originality or passion...

if only i noticed earlier how opalescent he was becoming...

but his beautiful mind couldn't fight off what everyone wanted him to be...

dull.

----

moral of this story is, don't let anyone treat you differently just because you think differently to them.

with a beautiful mind, comes a beautiful heart and soul...

be bold <3